Technical ice axes on sale, cheap.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erd said:
Thanks, Doug. I appreciate the expert opinion. Sometimes something as simple as a Black Diamond Whippet is helpful, if it's just trying to get a purchase on an iced-in ledge. I've thought about the ULA Helix, but it's so darn expensive. I'll probably just stick with my Raven, which permits the full repertoire from serious self arrest to just a little assist getting up a crack that's covered with glare ice.
Sure. I picked up a Raven last year, myself. I couldn't convince myself that the Raven Pro was rugged enough or heavy enough for my needs. (PLEASE--just my opinion, lets not start a debate on whose axe is gored.) I also have a great 70cm Chouinard Zero mountaineering axe if I anticipate serious use. A bit heavier than the Raven, but a far better tool if you really need it.

Doug

My Petzl Snowscopic weighs in at 18.3 ounces, whereas the Venom hammer is 25.8 ounces and the adz is 24.5 ounces. There is a world of difference between the axes, not just in weight, but usage as well. I choose one or the other based on the trail I'm doing. The Petzl is basically a short hiking pole though, so it's going to be heavier than a non-pole mountaineering axe.

The Venoms are a little short to be using for hiking, unless you're on Lion's Head or Fishin' Jimmy.

Last edited:
Did anyone get leashes with their's ? I can't remember the description on the Bulldogs. Was it just the Venoms that had the leashes included ? Neither seem to now and I didn't get them. Still a great deal.

Edir: Just called them, only Venoms get leashes, so I ordered a couple for the 'dogs. Good prices. Nice people.

Last edited:
You can make a nice leash (better than many of the commercial leashes, IMO) from a piece of 1/2 inch nylon webbing.
* Tie about a 2 inch loop (the head loop) at one end using a water knot. You should be able to push the loop and water knot through the carabiner hole in the axe head. Put the loop around the adz (or hammer head) and pull tight (the knot should pull back through biner hole).
* measure the leash down to just above where your hand will be (for piolet traction position) and tie a double-looped, triple water knot. The small loop should be just big enough to go around the shaft and the big loop should be just short of the tip of the spike. The small loop is the shaft loop and the big loop is the wrist loop.
* Adjust the knot positions as needed. Keep the end of the wrist loop shorter than the spike or you can spear the leash with the spike.
* Starting with the leash completely off the axe, thread the shaft through the shaft loop and install the head loop to the head as described above. Put your hand through the wrist loop and twist until the loop is too small for your hand to pass through. Place the twisted section between your thumb and forefinger and grasp the shaft.
* You can slide the shaft loop up and down the axe as needed.
* You can also use the leash with the shaft loop off the shaft.

This works for me.

Standard disclaimer: I give no guarantees, you assume all risks if you use the above leash system.

Doug

edit: there is another description of the same system at http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=167736&postcount=8
Searched for it, but I missed. Found by bikehikeskifish.

Last edited: