Techwick Shirts smelling...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonlegit

Reaction score
I decided a while back that i dont enjoy being uncomfortable, and so i started wearing my hiking clothes basically everywhere. One thing i noticed was when i washed and dried them, they would come out smelling less than washed. I basically would wear them anyways, and after a day it would no longer be smelly. I finally got my two shirts to come out not smelly after putting and inordinate amount of detergent in with my load of clothes. i dont want to do that every time, so maybe im missing something and you guys have a solution. My two shirts are both techwick from ems. However, it also happens with my old soccer jerseys, which are also sythetic fiber shirts.

If you want to pick up girls leave the shirts for the trails. I have the same problem, some of us smell more than others. I am one of them but luckly Im already married so I just use the shirts as a wife repelent.

yea now i feel like a moron seeing as how it seems like i am the only one with smelly clothes... maybe ill just dump the whole thing of detergent every time i wash the shirts lol.

*re-reads manual on how to wash clothes*

Nonlegit,

You're definitely not the only one with smelly clothes. It's the one reason why I often bring my techie clothes with me instead of wearing them from the beginning. The wicking ability of the clothes allows you to sweat and lets the sweat evaporate quickly which gives the advantage of keeping you dry. This can prevent a lot of problems. The problem is that while it pulls the sweat away from the body, it somehow doesn't do the same for those little smelly molecules. They seem to stay in the clothes.

I've heard different things like letting the armpits soak in liquid detergent, using vinegar, etc., but I still don't know what the answer is. This is the first I've heard of Febreeze but it sounds like it's worth a try. Whatever the answer is, it's definitely not just you.

those little cardboard pine tree fresheners?

I'm glad it's not just me.

I do find some shirts to be more offensive than others though. Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard baking soda in the wash may help.

it's the hollow cores

I heard that the hollow fibers (which work wonders for warmth and quick drying) eventually get clogged with microbials and there is no killing the stuff.

Coming from the world of cycling jerseys, we had the same problem. They come out of the wash smelling fresh and clean, but when they warm up to body temp. the wreeeeeek starts.

I have heard folks try many tricks, but I think the best one is to burn the old gear or save it for solo trips.

Just one more excuse for those solo adventures!:D

Wear wool or silk! Natural fibers don't tend to have this problem. They do an excellent job of insulating and wicking too. Smart Wool has a line of wool undies. I love their socks so I would guess their other stuff is top notch too.
ecc

Techwick shirts smelling--vinegar

Nonlegit--

I routinely wash sweated work or workout clothes in vinegar, 1 cup white vinegar to a load of wash, put it in after the water fills. Kills the odor, usually better than soda, works with polypropylene and some other fabrics.

Walt

ecc i have a pair of smartwool gloves they are nice. i have'nt seen anything else made by smartwool beside's socks of course. but i thought it would be nice if they made sweaters and such. i know i'd try it.

Mountainhound! It's out there!

I got a great pair of "tights" and a 1/2 zip mock turtle made by SmartWool at Sierra Trader and I live in them when I am lounging. Actually I couldn't resist buying a couple of sets. They just seem too nice to sweat in, but they work well for an underlayer when I am doing field work.

I have my nice techwear that I can hangout in the company of outhers and then I have a pile of techwear for serious working out. That way I have a pile of stinky and another pile for sweet-smelling wear.

Hope they still have them for you!!:) :)

thanks icensnow i know when i bought my gloves i thought gees they should be making other stuff too. becuase since i started wearing there socks thats the only ones i wear now every where every day.

Smartwool rules!

I wear Smartwool socks every day too, whether I'm working or playing. And I wear them all year long. Before I found where to buy them up here, I used to buy them at Jet's Florida Outdoors im Miami whenever I was down there visiting my parents.
Now I buy them at Three River Sports in Wells, NY, or at Sierra Trading Post.
ecc

Ice'nsnow noted the hollow cores & microbial buildup... in the caving world, there was some research done out west to address the issue of microbial contamination of the cave environment by stinky polypro (really!) - they found the one thing that worked was to boil the offending garment in alcohol in a microwave (making sure to keep the garment submerged at all times, else it tended to get crunchy).

Myself, I find it easier to shop around & find a brand that minimizes the problem - seems to vary from person to person.

Huh? Who enjoys lounging in polyester? Heard of cotton? :confused: ANyway, I have the SAME problem with the stink in my EMS shirts... My wife (the laundry queen... gets anything out of everything) is quite frustrated with this material! Febreeze is a good idea. I notice also that my North face polyester shirst do not seem to retain the stench as much as the EMS shirts do... Probably the material...