The Hancocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
The Hancocks 9/11

The Stonehill College Outdoors Club bagged their first two 4k's (North and South Hancock) on a special day and a special way - taking part in the Flags on the 48 memorial hike.

The students (10) of them were joined by me (their advisor), my sister and one of the student's mothers. We split into two groups at the outset (the fast and the slow) and hit the trail a couple minutes before 9 AM.

The parking lot along the Kanc already had a number of cars and the Boston Chapter of the AMC had a group prepping to head up as well.

The trail was easy and pleasant in the early going. The only tricky parts were the stream crossings. There were precious few rocks above water and within stepping distance. Gaiters and poles were a real help for those that had them. Damp feet and a couple delays when people took off their shoes and waded across slowed down the group I was in (the slow one :) ). The water was high and the mud was grasping.

We also stopped to talk with a nice couple who had a really cool dog named ZuZu after ZuZu petals of cinematrographic fame. Arriving at the summit, we found the flag raised and fluttering in the light breeze on the wooded summit. Two of the members of the club remained on the summit to explain to anyone who asked why there was a flag on the summit.

We took a short break and then headed over to North Hancock. The flag was also flying and we spent an enjoyable while over there before taking the flag down at 2. One group headed back to South Hancock to retrieve the flag and the two students. We met at the loop junction after barely making it down the North endofthe loop.

Going down the North section of the loop, in a word, sucked. It was wet. For the most part, it had a steady stream of running water. There was lots of loose rock on dirt, and few big rocks to prevent them (and us) from sliding too much. We eventually made it down with a couple minor falls but no injuries.

On the way back, we took a less risk averse approach to the stream crossings, with a number of people simply wading across as they knew the end of the hike was approaching.

We finished up and most headed for an ice cream before driving back to MA. It was a great trip and a real milestone for this pretty new club that has been working hard to earn money to buy equipment and get outdoors. In addition to their first two 4ks, it was also their first overnight in the tents and using the gear they fundraised and worked to buy.

I am not an overly sentimental person, but it left me inordinately proud to see them take these modest first steps as a group and get a bit of reward for their hard work over the last year.

It was a great way to remember a painful and horrific day. Thanks to all those who organized this event and came up with such a nice way to remember those who died that terrible day.

Dundare

Last edited: