The Leonids Camping Event! KOA Woodstock, NH 11.18.06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMagic

Reaction score
The Leonids Camping Event! Old Cherry Mtn Road, Twin Mtn - 11.18.06

We'll camp and view the spectacular show in Twin Mtn at Old Cherry Mtn Rd site #4. Directions from the South: I-93 to exit 35 on to Rte 3. Take a right on Rte 302, at 3.5 miles, Old Cherry Mtn Road (1.2 mile past Zealand Rd & Campground) Cross the RR tracks, continue on straight for 1 mile until you arrive at numbered site 4. Twin Mountain, NH
Expectations are that as many as 100 to 150 Leonids may streak across the sky in only an hour’s time. Best viewing is in the NorthEast. We'll have the usual gigantic campfire (please each participant bring a bundle of hardwood) to keep you toasty warm in this huge open field to take in this awesome show!
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/061017_leonids_2006.html
My group will be there after our hike around 5 pm. We'll have the large grassy island to camp in and to view the meteor shower with our usual great fellowship!!

Last edited:
The purist would not want the "usual gigantic campfire", as it would be very bright and hinder watching the spectacular show! :D

Also, not to 'rain' on your parade too much ( :D ) , but I just found this:

http://skytour.homestead.com/met2006.html#anchor_12

Quote:
---------------
Some years ago, when the teams of David Asher and Robert McNaught were making their groundbreaking predictions of Leonid storms and outbursts for the years 1999-2002, they also noted a possible outburst for 2006. This November, we'll find out whether that prediction comes true. On November 19, the Earth is due to pass through a trail of debris left by the Leonids' parent comet on one of its previous returns. A sharp peak of perhaps 100 Leonids/hour is expected, although there is a bit of uncertainty. If it occurs very near the predicted time of 4:45 UT, Europe and Western Africa will see the display during the favored morning hours. The East Coast of North America will see a bit of the display (maybe up to 25 per hour) as earthgrazing Leonids starting when the radiant rises at around 11pm. Depending on just how short and sharp this peak is, most of North America may be out of luck.

Breaking News: Mikhail Maslov has just released his prediction for the 2006 Leonids. He predicts the November 19 outburst to peak at 4:55 UT, with only ~35 Leonids/hour.

---------------

In any case, good luck! The Moon will not interfere this year.

The embers will be gigantic to keep us toasty warm. As long as it isn't cloudy, it'll be a great show! Anyone in the area after a hike, c'mon and stop by and say hi!

Location Changed

This event has been moved to Old Cherry Mtn Road in Twin Mtn. 3.5 miles from Rte 3.

Last edited:
Magic, you're bailing too easily, how about a bunch of us get together and climb to the top of something tall to watch it instead? You don't have to camp to have fun watching stuff fall out of the sky. I'm planning on being in the Whites that weekend and all the next week fo vacation and a night hike would work just fine. Maybe a nightime trip to Monroe or something on Franconia Ridge?
Damon

Thank you D.R! I thought about it and changed to the ideal location to watch this spectacular show. Site #4 is an enormous, flat, grassy area perfect for meteor gauzing. This is car camping. Just park and set-up. Feel free to join us if you are in the area, visit us, say hello, take in the show!