THE MAGNIFICENT 7--A TEAM OF 46er CONQUERS THE CL-50

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
(cross-posted from Adkhighpeaks.com, with Turkeybob's permission)

It again was one of those trips that we all thank GOD for the great outdoors he created, our physical capabilities, closeness of family, and the friendship that dwells amongst fellow hikers and 46ers.

Our team of 7, DICK HIHN, JOANNE HIHN, KEITH HORNE (AL LOCO), SHANE HAMILTON (HAMBONE), JENNY CIECIEREGA, JOE CIECIEREGA (JUNIOR TURKEY), and myself, TURKEYBOB,
left the BURNTBRIDGE trailhead at 3:15 pm Tuesday August 4th to begin our 50 mile quest. Our packs, no matter how many times we packed and unpacked, and removed items, ranged from 38 to 48 pounds, including water and tents.

Day 1--was great, sunny, warm, great trail and immediate gelling of the 7 of us. We ranged in age from 64 down to 32, but the pace and discussions was even across the team. We ended up 6 miles in at EAST INLET at a beautiful campsite that fit all 4 of our tents. We brought 4 stoves and thus tried various combinations of home and bought dried foods and snacks. After cleanup, a heck of a wind, thunder and lightening storm came through as we took refuge in the tents until daybreak.

Day 2--started out and stayed clear and sunny all day. We plugged past one of my old hunting camps on EAST INLET, over EAST CREEK, onto CURTIS POND, through PROUIX CLEARING, past DOG POND and onto the OTTERBROOK TRAIL JUNCTION. What a great stretch of real estate. (beautiful, pure wilderness, and impressive beaver dams). Trail had some wet and fairly muddy spots but nothing unusual. The weather was great and we continued to a tent site at CHAIR ROCK FLOW; Fantastic. Set up, dried up our tents from the nite before—DR. HORNE had to administer to JENNIFER’S heel blisters with clear skin and bandages. As big as they were you’d think she was in pain—she blamed her socks this time. “She didn’t get voted off the island”. Before that, KEITH, JOE AND JENNY went swimming. Meals were again fantastic, and we sealed the nite with a nice campfire.

Day 3--Again was clear, up at 5:15 am.(some of us), sunny, around 65 degrees and broke camp at 8:45 am and heading to CAT MOUNTAIN. The loop around OLMSTEAD POND was mud, wet and many beaver dams. This was the norm. Beautiful pond and lean-to and excellent spot for lunch. Lots of water on the trail around the pond and while crossing 6 mile creek, JOANNE decided to take a one foot swim. KEITH saved her from a more extensive soaking.
Once back on the six mile trail to COWHORN POND, we hiked through that old growth forest of enormous white pines, (the redwoods of NEW YORK); they were a real treat. It took 3 of us with hands stretched, to cover the whole circumference of those trees; IMPRESSIVE. We continued onto and past CAT MOUNTAIN and by now we were ready to find our next campsite. As we hiked around GLASBY POND, TURKEYBOB couldn’t pound his wings fast enough and got stung by 2 yellow jackets. We camped at the tent site on GLASBY POND. Great site for 4 tents. And KEITH went swimming again. Ate and got into our tents just as the rain came pouring down. We were treated to a duet of excellent singing in SPANISH by DICK AND KEITH.

DAY 4--Woke up to a haze and fog over GLASBY POND and a real soaked area. Broke camp at 8:30 and hiked in lots of mud towards the SANDHILL JUNCTION and then off to HIGH FALLS. That place is always a KODAK moment. Lots of pictures and lunch and then off to HIGH ROCK. NOW is when the real underwater trails greet us as well as the long swamps and beaver dams. Got through it all; arrived at the big HIGH ROCK campsite but it was taken by a big group of kayakers. (our first encounter with people and still HAVE NOT SEEN one hiker). We decided to take the upper campsite on HIGH ROCK. Somehow we got 4 tents up there, and had a great evening enjoying the view, snakes, and activities on the OSWEGATCHIE RIVER and a unbelievable sunset. JUNIOR TURKEY,with a 44 pound pack, but skinny, and weighing only 120 pounds always impressed us.

Day 5--Again up at 5:15, cold but clear—approx 40 degrees. Beautiful pictures of fog coming off the river and the final group of HIGH ROCK pictures. SHANE’s favorite color is ORANGE and he always wears ORANGE. Reminded me of a PUMPKIN.
Trail from here to WANAKENA was mostly dry, wide and an old road. Past the ranger station, and through the PEAVINE SWAMP which also has MASSIVE, (redwood style), HEMLOCKS, that are truly impressive. Finally arrive at route 3 and get back to the BURNTBRIDGE TRAILHEAD at 1:30 pm. Changed, packed and headed to the CRANBERRY LAKE LODGE for eats and drinks. Final hugs, shakes, pictures, and good byes, to end one heck of an adventure that we’ll never forget.

LOVE YOU GUYS AND GALS

turkeybob

Bob got most of the details, but here are a few other random thoughts:

Trail: Our trip was done clockwise (Burntbridge TH to Peavine Swamp TH). The first half (or so) of trail had more ups and downs (nothing major), and the second half was largely Adirondack flat. Though we never rushed, and always stopped for breaks, interesting photos, etc., long flat stretches enabled us to put on miles. After all of the summer rain, the trail was surprisingly in good shape. Muddy areas to be sure, but it’s the Adirondacks after all. More beaver activity than I had imagined, especially in the long stretches before High Rock. Virtually no blowdown. Trail was easy to follow, with no confusing places.

Temps were generally in the 60’s-70’s, and in the 40’s at night. One night it may have been below 40.

Bugs: mosquitoes made their presence known, especially in the evening, but were not horrendous. Deer flies were a mild nuisance on the trail, especially on the last day. I’d swear that some of them set up a chair and table, tucked their napkins in, and went to work slicing with a fork and knife, dining on my skull. I never needed bug dope, but some used it.

Water: was in plentiful supply, but my filter decided to clog on day 2, and to break on day 3, forcing us to resort to iodine. I checked the filter at home before leaving and it worked fine. Is there an equipment pattern going on here?

Pack weight: It has been years since I carried such a heavy pack, and I don’t know what possessed me! I should have thought twice about bringing the Taj Majal (over 7 lbs.) to sleep in. Never again! My pack weight won the (booby) prize for highest, at 46 (not 48) lbs., including water and food. It was truly embarrassing! Weight was the strongest factor in keeping me from engaging in conversation more with my companions, as my mind constantly focused on my back. My Gregory Whitney is right up there in weight as well, also over 7 lbs. During the trip we had not one, not two, but THREE tent pole failures! We’ve used the tent many times and know how to set it up, but for some reason, poles decided to snap, not while erecting the tent, but merely while we were standing around camp, suddenly hearing a pop. Big Agnes will be hearing from us tomorrow!

Strangest thing encountered on the trail: a family pulling what appeared a toy wagon loaded with all of their belongings, covered with a tarp. Presumably they started at Wanakena. How they made it that far is a mystery. I hope they made it back OK.

I was going to make a list of all of the songs sung on the trail, but it would be far too long! Tunes from the 50’s and 60’s abounded, and I once serenaded Keith in Spanish, but this song apparently prevailed with the group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AkKnLMELo

Thanks to Chairrock on Adkforum for his pre-hike input! Sorry we couldn’t meet. Thanks also to other past CL-50 hikers’ notes.

It was SUCH a pleasure to meet and hike with Bob, Jen, Joe, Shane, and Keith! They welcomed us with open arms, and we felt accepted unconditionally. I felt honored to hike with such a wonderful group! Bob, thanks so much for taking the lead on this trip. You pulled together a great one, with a lot of attention to the requisite planning that is necessary. Looking forward to more adventures with you all.

Dick

Really cool report! What a funny occurrence seeing the family pulling the wagon! That's really weird, haha.