The North Face Particle 13 tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
Solo Tent for the Whites

Anyone have any experience with the The North Face Particle 13 tent

I am looking to pick up a solo backpacking tent and this one is leaping out due to the paucity of solo dome tents that look like decent quality.

Ideally, I am looking for a freestanding 3 season tent for one person that can stand up to the wind, rain, and assorted weather conditions of the whites for 3 seasons. I would appreciate any other model/manufactuer suggestions or even just a listing of what solo tents you use and whether you like them.

Last edited:
i havent had any experience with the tent, but i did get to check it out at a gear shop in NYC and its huge for a solo tent. the backpacker gear guide said its big enough for 2 people, which i think is true, although it would be a bit of a squeeze. it looked like a pretty solid design.

dundare said:
I am looking to pick up a solo backpacking tent and this one is leaping out due to the paucity of solo dome tents that look like decent quality.

Ideally, I am looking for a freestanding 3 season tent for one person that can stand up to the wind, rain, and assorted weather conditions of the whites for 3 seasons. I would appreciate any other model/manufactuer suggestions or even just a listing of what solo tents you use and whether you like them.
Freestanding tents tend to be heavier than non-freestanding. (Many feel that freestanding is over-rated.)

Consider whether you wish to bring gear into the tent and how claustrophobic it might be if you have to wait out some weather. (The smallest tents are coffins--bivy sacks with a pole or two.)

The SD Clip Flashlight CD (non-freestanding) has a good reputation as a solo tent. Modest weight, tight for 2, roomy for one. The extra space becomes very nice if one has to spend any amount of time in the tent waiting out the weather. I have one, but haven't used it yet.

The Hilleberg Nallo 2 also has a good reputation, but is rather expensive. Hilleberg also makes some smaller and lighter tents.

Doug

Last edited:
weight?

Most people have a max weight when purchasing a "big four" item. What weight did you have in mind? Have you considered a bivy/tarp combo?