The Peaks of the Weeks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
Spent Sunday with my boy getting No. & So Weeks. First time into York Pond region for me other than the Cabot area. Arrived at the fishery gate, called the gatehouse number listed in the AMC guide and was assured that we could get out after 4pm and not to worry or hurry...very nice gentleman. Of course it helped it was a holiday weekend, as he said they had been busy. Noticed the haze and constant smell of wood smoke once we arrived in Berlin. Honestly, I thought it was the low hanging smoke from the previous cool night caught in the valley. We continued to smell it all the way to the trailhead....i thought my car was burning something! (Found out about the Quebec forest fires on the way home Monday!..ah the joys of being away from TV!) A couple of other cars at the trailhead that were gone by the time we returned, but we didn't encounter another human all day!!

Was concerned about bugs, but blessed with cool temps and nice winds, we dodged that bullet. Lower section of YPT very grassy, reminds me of some spots to Isolation. I kept long pant legs on, but my son was fine with shorts. Once into the hardwoods, very pretty area. The woods are very open and obviously the moose appreciate the area. We soon began to see regular contributions to composting from the moose on a very regular basis. As a matter of fact, i do believe this hike probably had the most moose poop i have officially seen in any one day!! We made good time to the Kilkenny Ridge Trail junction. Once on the KRT we began to encounter on a more regular basis trail obstructions. i was kind of wondering how much we would find based on many other recent reports. None were impassable, and all seemed old enough that there are discernable walkarounds, but none the less, they still slow you down some. There were a few spots that seemed to have the trail disappear for a few moments. I dubbed the trail very 'messy', places where spruce bits were blanketing the ground and limited mindless trail following! The sun came out full time and we soon got above the smoke smell, so we quite enjoyed our ridge ups and downs. As much as this walk in the woods is pleasant, and none too challenging, the lack of views did become a bit mundane after awhile. If it had been a lesser day, or buggy etc, i probably would've not come away with a favorable feeling of the day.

It ended up being a long day, but not a hard day, my son was a good sport to tag along on these 2 of the 100 peaks for me, we're heading to Maine in late June to work on his quest toward his last 5 67 4K, peaks.

We departed after gate closing time, but it was still open. The gatekeeper had told us that if it was closed we could un-pin it to leave.

Would love to hear from anyone who has hit So Weeks from the Waumbek side, didn't have time to wander past the peak to check out trail condition in that direction. I assume it is much less used than our approach.

Was hoping for a moose siting considering their consistent use of the trail, but no such luck.

ctsparrow and short stride (he's getting taller - may have to get a new name for him...maybe 'hiking hockey fool'!)