The Rules

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scarpy Welcome to the club.
I felt the same way many many years ago.
When Trailwrights was formed I proposed that we develope a list and settled on the 72 Summits. We have a patch for those wishing to join the 72 summits club.
There is only one catch to join the club and that is you are required to put in 72 hours of trailwork to qualify. I proposed 72 days but it was voted down. I kept true to that ideal and have done many blocks of 72 days but that was my choice.
Check out www.Trailwrights.Org for the list and rules. Who knows you may like it.
Some are already doing it for Winter but I doubt it will become a grid challenge. YOU NEVER KNOW!!

Last edited:
If you do enough "rounds" of the NH 48, then you can get all of them for TW72 credit anyway, even doing multiple peaks per trip (of which you may count only one, the rest of the peaks on said trip being for your own amusement.) You then must go get the remaining 100-foot col, 4000-foot peaks. Some of which are very well worthwhile in their own right - like Clay and Hight.

Tim

I just finished my NH 48 the AMC way. I'm also hiking with two other people who are working on their 48. I figure that by the time it is all said and done I will have hiked most of the 48 at least 2 or 3 times. I'm happy with that.

Looks like I'm a natural born Trailwright and didn't even know it! Thanks for the info on that. Did not know about Trailwrights.org. I think the grid might be out of my comfort zone but who knows. If I could ever quit working for a living...!

I like it! I did about 35 of my 48 as backpacking trips. It was a wonderful way to do it. No award yet, though.
Do the peaks individually for your list.

I am doing the AMC peaks as part of backpacking trips & when I am done going to get a hiking patch made & award it to myself.

Never felt like I "just visited". The present rules RE: height and distance have always seemed fair to me with no peak too easily gained. Need a challenge? Bushwhack to the peaks.

Never felt like I "just visited". The present rules RE: height and distance have always seemed fair to me with no peak too easily gained. Need a challenge? Bushwhack to the peaks.

Didn't mean it to come off as trivial when I said "just visited". I know that all of the summits are hard fought. Just curious if that thought occurred to anyone else thats all.
Nice to see another Barringtonite on here!

Looks like I'm a natural born Trailwright and didn't even know it! Thanks for the info on that. Did not know about Trailwrights.org. I think the grid might be out of my comfort zone but who knows. If I could ever quit working for a living...!

27 posts, welcome to the club! There is no shortage of opinions here, especially from the group that is currently online instead of on trail. Odd, I always think I'm just visiting but that's just a case of semantics. It's like asking people when hiking season is, here it's a trick question, it's never ending but ask your co-workers & some will say Memorial Day through Labor day, others May 1st through Columbus Day. Some here might say it starts Labor Day & goes through April, others, just winter counts.

Usually people start with the 48 once they have caught the peakbagging bug (or the 46 if they start in the ADKs where it's 300 Ft., not 200 or the 35 if they start in the Catskills & they require 4 winter trips) & then once you finish that list, you need another, do you do them again in Winter, visit another state & do those (the New England 4,000) & then do the New England 100? Do you head south for the 6,000 footers or out west or perhaps start State highpointing. Then there is the grid, 52 WAV (with a view) Trailwrights which also includes some trailwork, the NE 3,000 & also County Highpoints or start your own list or lists.

I'm on the Northeast 115, the NH 48 in each season & then a personal list of 30 of the NH ones in each month.... (so far)

As the good folks of ELP once said... "Welcome friends to the show that never ends, so happy you could attend" In this case, go outside, go outside.:D