Thermarest Repair Instructions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
A quick request ...

I have the Hot Bond adhesive and the patch material but I do not have the instructions for making the repair. I remember something about warming the glue in hot water....

Not wanting to screw it up... Anyone out there have a copy of the instructions handy that could summarize the important points?

Already Googled it but nothing found easily.

Thanks,

JHS

I put a pot of hot water on the thermarest and patch. Don't pour the water onto it, leave it in the pot. This gave off enough heat to heat the glue, but did not scorch anything. It's running on ten years now without a failure, so it appears to have worked.

Not sure if it is the same device used today. I think the one I used was more like an iron patch if I recall?

HOTBOND Adhesive

1. Boil approx one-half quart of water in a flat bottomed metal pan.

2. When water boils, place HotBond pouch in the water and allow to heat for thee minutes.

3. The Therm-a-Rest valve must be open, and the mattress should be on a flat surface. Placing a heated pan of water on your Therm-a-Rest will not harm your mattress if the valve is open.

4. Select a pre-cut patch or cut a well-rounded patch from supplied material. Patch should extend 1/2" to 3/4" beyond puncture/tear in all directions. Area to be repaired must be clean and free of dirt, oil, and loose debris.

Note: HotBond will cool and harden quickly once removed from hot water. You have about one minute to apply and spread HotBond at 20F, less time in cooler temperatures.

5. Carefully remove HotBond from boiling water (use spoon or similar item) and wait a few seconds before handling. Then tear off the end of the pouch at the notch.

6. For pre-cut patches, apply a drop of HotBond, approx the diameter of a dime-5/8" --and about 1/8" thick, directly on the puncture.

7. Using supplied wood stick thoroughly work HotBond into the fabric with circular motions. A thin continuous layer of HotBond should be spread outward from the puncture/tear eveny in all directions, about the same size and shape of the patch.

8. Center patch over puncture/tear, shiny side down, and apply patch. Place a layer of plastic bag over the patch to prevent excess HotBond from sticking to bottom of pan. Firmly press down on patch to assure a wrinkle-free surface.

9. Carefully place hot pan of water directly on top of plastic bag/patch for 60 seconds.

10 Remove pan and immediately roll over patch 2-3 times with a smooth cylindrical object (such as a bottle).

11 Allow mattress to rest undisturbed for 10 minutes. The mattress is now ready for use.

Last edited: