Things I learned this winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always bring one of these emergency "foil like" bivys. Does anyone know if that ins

Jasonst: I'd bring that close-cell pad along. Don't think that foil bivy would be much good protecting you from conductive heat loss to the cold ground.

Besides a lot of the things mentioned earlier I always carry an emergency tarp/blanket I picked up at Dick's sporting goods. It is about 5' by 8' and is a foil type space blanket on one side and a red nylon on the other. It has grommets around the perimeter and could easily be made into a shelter. It is very durable and lightweight. I feel with that, a nylon bivy bag and my extra clothing I am safe for an overnight. My winter packweight is around 20 lbs and I have a pretty good feeling about my safety out there.

I joined the Y!

I decided to join the local YMCA!!

The upper body strength has been a great benefit and regular aerobic "training" has also enabled me to feel safer while traveling solo or with my buddies.

It seems that I am using less food and drink - I still carry extra chocolate! My body temperature does not fluctuate as greatly - meaning I am comfortable w/o having to change layers. And the fatigue factor is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

Although I am thrilled to be outdoors again, I never thought I'd like the Y as much as I did. It was a great change of pace!

"A Royal AirForce (UK) study on infared reflection and heat conservation with metallizied plastic sheeting failed to demonstrate any significant difference between using the reflective materials or plain palstic materials or ripstop nylon material in their experiments. Half of their studies were performed at -13 degrees F in still air and half at 17F in a wind speed of 10 mph. Skin temperatures of the eight subjects for each experiment were measured wearing winter clothing and lying at rest. Particularily at the lower temperature, [condensation] rapidly accumulated on the inside of the plastic sheeting, which effectively blocked the radiant reflective characteristics of the metallized surface." As was pointed out by
Silverback, a space blanket "provides no protection from conduction loss, which in a hypothermia victim can be a very important source of heat loss, due to his increased surface area in contact with the ground or other cold surface." In short, nylon tarps are just as effective and stand up to higher winds than space blankets.
Hypothermia by William Forgey, M.D., second edition, 1999.
Even with a pad, bivy and extra clothing, I believe I would be quite cold in a sub zero night without a sleeping bag. Last August in the Mahoosucs, under a tarp on a tent platform, withextra clothes, rain gear, but no sleping bag I woke up quite cold in the night. Seriously, try it out one night in your back yard. Then remember if you are forced to spend a night out, you are probably in some pain, exhausted, dehydrated, maybe in some high winds or other extreme conditions, otherwise you would have made it out.
Last winter 5 skiers at Jay Peak caught out overnight, saved themselves by getting a fire going. Something that might be very difficult, but carrying 5 or six cotton balls coated with vaslaline and stored in a film canister might be a handy lightweight option to carry with first aid along with a bunch of wooden, strike anywhere matches, waterproofed by dipping the tips in melted wax. A tip from 98.6 degrees: The Art of Keeping Your A_ _ Alive! by Cody Lundin He also carries a heavy duty space blanket, because he found one in a bright orange color!

Last edited:
How to safely lighten my day pack. The most common question asked of me when out on a day hike was how long I would be out for. Not good.

As far as lightening the load, my advice is that you do not try to make a compromise between the weight you carry and your mental well-being. By leaving something behind, you're only going to stress yourself out.

So, rather than learn how to "safely" travel with less than you typically bring, you should focus on "enlightening" the gear you feel you require.

The following may sound a little over the top, but it works for me:

Last year I decided to get into adventure racing. I read all I could and talked to people that had been in the sport for years, to try and to pick up some tricks of the trade.

One of the most helpful pieces of advice that I came away with is that EVERY piece of gear has some amount of material that can be removed or changed without altering its integrity. There's no rule that says "thou shalt not modify", as long as you've determined that you're not going to return it after the first try.

Backpacks have extra strapping and material (check out your stitches) that can be cut off. Clothing has unneeded labels, beltloops, and unused pockets (left-back pocket, anyone?). Toothbrushes, trowels, and such have handles that can be cut or drilled, etc.

It sounds silly, but the point is, you can probably take your current setup and do a lot with it. You don't need to go out and spend a lot on "ultralight" gear. Sure, there are things you can buy outright to save some ounces -- and you may determine that those items are necessary -- but you'll be amazed at how much that pile of clippings weighs when you're done trimming out your gear.

And, as one poster mentioned, the best way to lighten the load is to lighten yourself. Those leg muscles are great at carrying your current weight everywhere. Drop five pounds and you'll feel that energetic bounce in your step for an extra hour (or more!).

An easy way to adjust shoe laces under a gaiter with cold fingers.

Again, back to the AR world. A lot of shoe companies are running the laces on their trail running shoes with quick-lock systems. It's that whole easy-on/easy-off concept. I bet with a little imagination this idea could work well on a boot covered by gaiters, but it's late and brain is fuzzy. Anyone have suggestions? I'm picturing a yankable lace sticking out of the top of the gaiter. Pull on the lace, the boot gets tighter...

Matt

Good ideas that make sense.Thanks all.

I usually cram my day pack to capacity but this last trip was different. I
was to camp at flowed lands then visit Cliff, Redfield and Allen. My heavy backpack
to be cinched down for the day hikes. Two day before scheduled
departure I became ill. I delayed a day to stabilize the fever then went anyway.
Once
there the fever did not break so I decided to drop Allen and hike Cliff and Redfield
out of the Loj. The accumulating snow from the northeaster was also taken into
consideration. I was stuck with using
the big bag.

Doc McPeak this is mostly what I carried.

Outside:
Trekking poles
ice axe
Knife
3/4 length foam mattress
Active water bottle
hat
bag with much gorp, compass, gps, camera, map. altimeters, spare whistle.
beeners

Inside:
Sleeping bag (depending on forecast)
Bag's reflective VBL
Bivy
fleece Pant
extra socks and liners
spare hat
spare thermal top
fleece jacket
fleece vest
down parker
gore-tex jacket
light uncoated nylon jacket. Much used.
spare glove liners
thick mittens and shell mit
Huge trash bags
Nylon Tarp
Stove or three candles
metal cup
fire starter (if I didn't bring the candles)
matches and lighters all over the place
spare food
two or three quarts of water
full first aide kit
repair kit
50' parachute cord
Summit kit- goggles, balaclava, glacier glasses, face mask
headlamp
small flashlight
2m/70cm HT
Spare batteries for everything
My pack and much of my gear is old (heavy).

On me:
Plastic boots ( My circulation could be much much better)
Whistle with thermometer and compass

xoombo, regarding body weight. Ten years ago, before my long hiatus from hiking, I
was active and 25 lbs lighter, ahh youth. I eat and carried so much weight during the
three weeks I totaled in the ADKs this winter that I am now at record weight. Still
no
one would consider me over weight.
I am not sure which is better. I was faster back then and had less of a knee
problem.
Now I FEEL more robust (though I was much stronger and fitter back then) and
much more comfortable in the cold.