Thoreau Falls Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt. Pepper

Reaction score
Hi all
This past weekend we hiked from Zealand trailhead to Lincoln woods trailhead to checkout Thoreau Falls (big thanks to peakbagger for recommending we do that when we met him last summer). I had read not that long ago the Thoreau falls bridge was removed. I was hoping to see where it was once located but had no luck! I wouldn’t put it past myself to just straight walk by some easy to spot old relic though. Was hoping someone on here might know where it once stood?? Any info would be great for this curious hiker

The last bridge removed was across the east branch. There were 2 more across the north fork, 1 just north of jumping brook and another about a mile or so south of jumping brook, that were removed decades ago and the trail was relocated to the east bank of the north fork. If you're ever out that way again, the plane crash monument on the abandoned stretch of trail on the west bank is worth a side trip.

The first image is the footing from the east branch crossing from 2 years ago, the second is a section of rail at the site of the north fork crossing near jumping Brook. There isn't much left at the site of the crossing south of jumping brook aside from a nice view of the river from the rock it was anchored to.
Resized_Resized_20200613_091946_HDR_812983556245753.jpegResized_Resized_20200613_104804_HDR_812983066613044.jpeg

Would have been nice to have finished the job and hauled all the parts and pieces out which were still there a year later;)

Any one want some souvenirs from the trash pile? I know where there are a couple.