Trail dangers - what you don't know can kill you!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . I continue to avoid carrying enough gear to survive every conceivable danger as a way of enhancing the adventure.

There's a fine line to be drawn between 'adventure enhancement' and stupidly irresponsible and inconsiderate (of the folks who are forced to wreck their own plans in order to come to your aid) conduct. While it's not possible to hike with industrial strength preparedness for each and every challenging contingency we've thought of above, I would encourage all of us, in as efficient a manner as possible within the time/distance constraints of our trips, to try our best on the contingency prep front. In my own experience on multiple occasions, it's paid off. In addition to preparedness, the other big justification for the extra load is, of course, that it enhances the workout value of each outing.

Alex

I have always been one to plan for the worst, as a soloist, I have too. My pack is always one of the heavier loads on any peak. I do not carry a sleeping bag or stove, but carry enough clothes to Bivi in. My first aid kit could be used for a small group. I have multiple sources to make fire and my food stock is good for at least 2 days. I still plan trips with a cushion of daylight at the end in case I need it, that is a habit from my early day's soloing Washington in the winter, ( I thought if trouble arose, I could use the x'tra daylight). Gear taken care of, my other focus is directly on my travel and the terrain encountered. For example, my last trip out west. I encountered a slab of snow on a very steep slope that I had to cross. It was 40ft or so. I could have kicked steps and belayed myself with my axe, but looking at the run-out into a dreadful Talus slope below, I decided to crampon up. It took twice as long to put on and remove my crampons as it did to run across 40ft. That time was worth it, I took the potential danger out of the crossing by just making a solid decision instead of being lazy. I like having all my stuff, I never worry about not having something if conditions turn bad. An added bonus is when your climbing and the weather gets really bad, you can go on longer then someone with a thin selection of clothes, or just the right clothes for that day. I've had people ask me on a nice day, if I'm out for the night, based on my pack size. "Plan for the worst, hope for the best", or, "Man plans, God laughs".:D

Last edited:
... but I continue to avoid carrying enough gear to survive every conceivable danger as a way of enhancing the adventure.

There's a fine line to be drawn between 'adventure enhancement' and stupidly irresponsible and inconsiderate (of the folks who are forced to wreck their own plans in order to come to your aid) conduct. While it's not possible to hike with industrial strength preparedness for each and every challenging contingency we've thought of above, I would encourage all of us, in as efficient a manner as possible within the time/distance constraints of our trips, to try our best on the contingency prep front. In my own experience on multiple occasions, it's paid off. In addition to preparedness, the other big justification for the extra load is, of course, that it enhances the workout value of each outing.

Obviously one cannot prepare for every eventuality, but I try to carry enough to survive an unplanned overnight without too much more. (Just survive, not necessarily in comfort...) This was tested a number of years ago on a BC ski trip when I suddenly found myself lying in the snow with a broken femur. Everything necessary to stabilize me on site was in my pack (or my head :) ). (Fortunately I did not have to test my over night survival preparedness, because I was in cellphone range and an evac crew arrived several hours later.)

Doug