Trail Running

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most trail runners have a few differences from road runners. Usually, there is a stiffer midsole to provide support and protect from pointy rocks. Also, there is usually a tougher toe cap to protect from kicking obstacles. As has ben discussed, lugs are bigger for dirt. Rubber is usually stickier too. And shoe is heavier, usually, as a result of all these other changes.

As far as sticking to the rock, the rock makes as much difference as the shoe! Adirondack rock is usually corse and crystalline, and shoes stick really well. NH granite is much slicker. Wet Gunks rock is unbelievably slick. For example, you can walk down most of the slabs on the orebed trail even when they're wet. If that was NH rock, you wouldn't be able to stand on it even with climbing shoes.

Salomon XA Pro Gore-tex XCR trail runners

(sierra trading post item 65618)

How handy that this thread came along in the midst of my researching for a new pair of trail runners.

My concern with the above shoe is the cord lock lacing system. I usually lace snugly and tie with a double bow. Has anyone used a lacing system with a cord lock? Is the cord lock as secure as a double bow? Does the loop of extra lace get caught on things more or less than bow loops?

I just started trail running this year and bought a pair of Montrail Vitesse trail running shoes based on the recommendation of an experienced runner. I like them. They provide nice support on the uneven, sandy, and muddy surfaces. I did a 15K trail race last weekend and they felt good. I haven't had the chance to try them on a real long run yet. I am fortunate to live a couple miles from some great trails for running, the Pine Bush Preserve in Albany, and have been running there a lot this year.

I've gone through a couple pairs of the XA Pros and have never had a problem with the lace locking system. They will loosen up a bit during the course of the run but its very quick and easy to retighten. To clarify, the "loop of extra lace" gets tucked in a pouch on the front side of the tounge. I've never had the laces work free from this pouch. The picture in the ad is wrong...you would never run with the laces like that.

You didn't ask for it but I'll give you my opinion on having Gore-tex in trail running shoes. IMHO, it is not needed for warm weather running. In fact, I think your feet will be wetter with it. The Gore-tex severley impedes ventilation and your own sweat will soak your socks.

I loved trail running. I used to run in the Plotterkill Preserve in Schenectady County and two years ago was running three to five days in the Pine Bush in Albany. It was kinda cool in this one stretch it seemed like I always flushed out a big deer on those runs. It didn't seem so cool when I got the rash and came down with Lyme Disease. Despite that, it is worth the risk, but another thing to be aware of, especially on narrow bushy trails. Watch out Mike when you are back there.

Last edited: