Trap Dyke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masshysteria;

I said the same thing about ice climbing until I did it and became addicted to the rush.

Fred (of Alan and Fred)

Thanks for your concern, I've been reading the messages here and at NEICE.com. Alan is still hobbling around and will get MRI info in a couple of days. He is still interested in ice climbing (but not so much alpine). I will be up there as soon as I can. Maybe my pack will still be there. (After first big snow/avalanche) I expect it to be in the lake). Anyway it is interesting what you think to do when you do not have time to think.

After Alan disappeared I took off my pack, grabbed a couple of items. (Exactly these: 2 headlamps, 1 windstopper face mask,1 neck gaiter, cell phone.) I put them in my pocket and started climbing down.

It that time I didn't figure that I wouldn't be coming right back up to my pack. Of course when I got to Alan I couldn't make him climb up again...

I then had a short lived plan to get it from the summit, but it took so long to get there I couldn't let Alan wait 30-45 minutes for me to downclimb the 300+' and return. Also I needed him to walk and couldn't let him get stiff.

Anyway that is how the pack ends up there.

Alan continued to walk and didn't stiffen up till the next morning when he couldn't get off the bed. He was almost immobile for 24 hours after which he began to recover fast.

Fred (waterfallfred)

Colden 400' slide accident update

Alan will be having surgery on torn ACL in 2 weeks. Backpack was retrieved by a ranger yesterday (he will be mailing it to me). How the backpack sat on the slab for over a month is beyond me. Thanks to all.

Fred