Trip report on Marion Harbor paddle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Six-pack Dan

Reaction score
Last Saturday, Carmel and I drove down to Marion Harbor in my trusty old Subaru station wagon to do a three hour paddle. As we unloading all our gear (and beer) down on the beach next to the town wharf, I began to feel a terrible suspicion that I overlooked something. Yes, that's right. I had left my paddle back in Westport. While Carmel sat on the beach, guarding our gear and working on her tan, I headed back up the road in search of a paddle. Not feeling like driving all the way home, I went a mile up the road to West Marine and bought a servicable paddle for 25 bucks.
At high noon we launched our boats. We manouvered our way around the many sailboats moored in front of Beverly yacht club and headed South. A brisk southwesterly wind and some serious waves kept the paddle challenging as we passed some of the spectacular homes on Ram Island in the center of the Harbor. As we made our way past Butler's Point on the East side, we could see our destination: Bird Island and its lighthouse. The beach on the the North side of the Island provided an easy landing area. We ate lunch, had a few cold Busch Lites, and admired the beautiful clear water and the many yachts sailing in the distance. I told Carmel that after enjoying my own private island, I was too spoiled to go to a public beach ever again.
After I took a quick swim I reluctantly packed up my gear. The 3.5 mile trip back to the town wharf was fast with the wind at our backs, but we had to keep a sharp eye out for breaking surf. All in all, a great time. (See photos below) For more details about paddling in Marion, MA check out trip #38 in the AMC guidebook "Sea Kayaking Coastal Massachusetts" by Lisa Gollin Evans.

Last edited:
what happened to all the other pics!!!!???

we took like 400 pics, where did the rest go?

i had so much fun!! thanks for the fun time dan!!!! it was nice to try something new (again!)

it could be our last yak of the season before I go to hawaii! at least it was a good one! any yes, we are definitely spoiled with the private islands we've been going to!

should we move this thread to Trip Reports?

Carmel said:
we took like 400 pics, where did the rest go?

i had so much fun!! thanks for the fun time dan!!!! it was nice to try something new (again!)

it could be our last yak of the season before I go to hawaii! at least it was a good one! any yes, we are definitely spoiled with the private islands we've been going to!

should we move this thread to Trip Reports?

Carmel,
I had a great time as well. I didn't take many pictures in the harbor because I was paddling like crazy to keep up with you. I did take some short videos on the island but they are so jumpy and out-of-focus that you would probably get motion sickness from viewing them. If this was our last paddle of the season, it was certainly a good one. I'd like to move this thread to Trip Reports but I'm not sure how to do it. Could you tell me how?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
cantdog said:
Looks like a great time. I have been daydreaming about adding a touring boat to my fleet of whitewater boats.

Cantdog,
I've never gone whitewater kayaking but I'm sure it has many unique thrills (and perils).

If you are looking to get your first sea 'yak, the rotomolded plastic ones are very durable and reasonably priced. I've bounced my Wildnerness Systems Alto against many rocks over the last 10 years, and it's still in pretty good shape. My Lotus life vest, on the other hand, has seen better days...

Dan S

I moved this report from the new kayak / canoe forum, "Paddle Park" to the trip report forum so more people can see it. Trip reports of all kinds can go here in the Trip Report forum. To see the Paddle park forum, you must join the kayaking group.

- darren