Tripyramids (all) via Livermore and Mt Tripyramids Trails - 5/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: May 16, 2013

Trail Conditions: Having not hiked since yesterday I was itchin' to hit the trails so I did. Livermore Trail was in great shape (like an old road, of course). Hardly any mud, and one easy-over blowdown. That's it. Mt. Tripyramid Trail was also in great shape. A little wetter, a little muddier, but easy walking. The first crossing was easy as pie. The North Slide was a bit wet with a little snow so a great amount of care needed to be taken on the lower slabs as they were quite slippery in many spots. Thank goodness for all those tough little trees else we would have never climbed it without protection. The upper parts of the slide were dry and easy to negotiate. The ridge was pretty easy walking. A little ice, tiny remnants of the monorail, and a couple of easy-to-manage blowdowns. The trail was wet and a bit muddy in places, but not bad at all. The South Slide was a piece of cake. Very dry with all that southern exposure. The remaining crossings were super simple and the rest of the trail was like the start: slightly wet and muddy in a few spots, plus a couple of easy-to-manage blowdowns there as well. All-in-all, no problem.

Special Equipment Used: We brought microspikes but we never felt the need to use them. I wouldn't even bother bringing them unless you're unsure of yourself. Trekking poles are a nice option for balance for the crossings, but even they weren't really needed.

Comments: Hiked this one with a Meetup hike I was leading for Random. I was joined by my friend Bill Robichaud plus Brad, Karen, Debra, and Radley and I must say this was an awesome group who exhibited great courage and drive on such tough terrain. The screening worked and all survived it well. We all clicked so well and had such a great day with tons of smiles and laughs (and a great finish at the Mad River Tavern for some Switchback Ale). On exit we met Sandy Price (sleeveless) on the trail going south to north and she was so cool; working on her gird and almost done. Impressive to say the least. On top of it all, the day was super productive from a list standpoint: 44 and 45 of my 2013 48 (two to go for the year), two more grid peaks, one peak for the TW72 list, plus the South Slide which I still needed for the Terrifying 25 list. Woo-hoo.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH