Twins and Galehead Loop Sunday March 11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Thought this was worth posting since I cannot recall better condtions ever for this hike.

Started kind of late- just before 7am from the Beaver Brook Wayside. Snow was nice and hard - the temperature was in low 20s. Reached the summer trailhead of Gale River and found nothing but firm, well packed snow all the way up. It seemed almost effortless- all rocks covered up- you could almost ski down this trail.

The route broken out from the Hut to Galehead - another cinch as a couple of spots which normally can be a slight scramble were like a snow ramp. Views were crystal clear and morning sun was warming things up comfortably.

Climbing South Twin was another breeze. I could not get over what a cake walk it was- just a smooth, packed powder ramp to the summit. It was far easier than anytime in summer. Heading over to N Twin, the route seemed to deviate from the norm in spots but no complaints- it worked. Decided to head down N Twin trail as it has been awhile since I've toured the Little River. Going down the steeps here were a number of postholes. The route was choppier than anything up till then but it was not much of a nuisance. Changed from my wet long sleeve shirt into dry short sleeves for rest of the day. Reaching the river area, the sun had warmed up the snow a bit but it only stuck slightly for a short while. The rest of the route was mostly shaded and a breeze to walk out to the summer trailhead and on to Little River Road. Did the road walk and hitched a lift back from Twin Mt to my car with a nice nordic skiing family.

I saw no one on this gorgeous day. But it was great to hear the whip poor wills and other feathered friends throughout the day.

Reached the summer trailhead of Gale River and found nothing but firm, well packed snow all the way up.

Update: With temps in the high 40s, all that firm, well packed snow at the trailhead was gone by 6 pm.

IMG_2704.jpg
Gale River Trailhead (summer lot) 3/11/2012

Of course, at higher elevations there was plenty of snow. It's still winter. Snowshoes required.

I hiked behind you up to North Twin, but returned via same route. I saw two large groups, all wore snowshoes, and I saw no postholes and left it that way. But the afternoon snow was pretty heavy and wet in the sun-facing spots.

Steve