Two forty-eights and a one-two punch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoes to Views

Reaction score
Saturday was the day Sharon and I had arranged for our finish of the 48 4000 footers. We were going with Jay, who hikes with us about once a month. Jay was also bringing a friend Wendy, who’d never climbed a 4000 footer before.

We needed Wildcat A to finish, and Jay wanted to get both A and D for his list. We went back and forth about what route to take, and finally decided to drop a car at Pinkham Notch and go up 19 Mile Brook trail. That way we had the easiest approach for me and Sharon to finish our 48, and a couple of options if Wendy was struggling on her first.

When we arrived at the 19 Mile Brook trail we saw another group getting ready to go. We recognized Ed Hawkins and Jay recognized another friend from scouting many years ago. They’d dropped cars at the ski area and were heading for the Wildcats as well. They headed out before us while we tried to extend one of Jay’s poles, which wasn’t cooperating.

Soon we headed out. We asked Wendy if she wanted to lead, but she said my pace was good. Sharon stayed behind me, which was good, because if she leads, the rest of us are soon gasping for breath. We stopped for a few minutes to de-layer and were soon back under way. We passed the AMC group as they were de-layering, and made our way to the Wildcat Ridge trail intersection where we took a break. The AMC group arrived right after us and decided to take 9 ½ minutes as well. When we were ready, we started the climb up the ridge. The AMC group let us go first. After a while, Jay announced that he needed to slow down and was going to let the larger group pass. Sharon and I found a wide spot in the trail and let them pass as well. It was tough for Sharonto watch them pass. We took a little more time to finish the climb to A, but the larger group was still there and Ed was kind enough to show us the path to the official summit cairn and give us each a package of M&M’s. Thanks Ed. Then we went to the viewpoint just in time to see the clouds clearing a little over Carter Dome and the rest of the Carters. Jay said he needed to lighten his pack and presented both of us with “NH 48” tee shirts. What a thoughtful hiking partner.

Everyone, including Wendy, was doing well, so on we went toward Wildcat D. The trail was wet and rough, but there was no ice. We picked our way down the rocks, but I knew I wasn’t the only one slowing down. My knees were hurting, as usual, and I heard Jay ask Wendy how hers were doing. I heard “fine” but on clarification, it was “crying”. We stopped for lunch and a beautiful Airedale we’d mistaken for Laukey earlier caught up with us and asked for a treat. The owner, sorry I don’t remember names well, explained that it wasn’t Laukey, and that Laukey was a Welsh Terrier, a little smaller than an Airedale.

Around two we finally reached the old platform on D. We knew everything was downhill from here. The only decision was whether to continue along the ridge or hike down the ski trail. It was unanimous. Polecat it was. Even though sunset wasn’t until 4:12, we knew we were going slow enough that we were risking finishing in the dark. Sharon and I have done that, but we didn’t think Wendy would enjoy that on her first 4000 foot hike. Besides, my knees had enough of picking my way down the rocky trail.

The walk down was uneventful. Mount Washington was impressive as always across the notch. We watched the sun disappear over Boott Spur, but there was still plenty of light when we arrived at the base lodge. We were surprised to find some of the AMC group in the parking lot. Jay got a ride to his car and was soon back to bring us to 19 Mile Brook trailhead to pick up ours. Ed and a few of the other group were still there, so we shared our Champagne with them as we celebrated. I couldn’t take Ed up on the offer of a PBR because of the gluten free diet, but I appreciated the offer. Jay presented us with a framed photo from one of our previous hikes. What a guy! I commented again about how well Wendy had done on her first two peaks. It was a pretty tough hike, but she proved strong and fit. Hope she enjoyed it enough to continue with us. She’s got two mountains checked off her list.

In a few days Sharon and I will “officially” celebrate our 35th, but we took the liberty of calling this the “48 mountains – 35 years” hike.