Ultralite bivys

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Considering picking up a good ul bivy for a ~2700 mile mtb ride this year, any opinions on the Montbell UL bivy or any other particular kiind? Would be out west along a very rough estimate of the continental divide.... I tend to like the Montbell stuff so I'm starting with that, plus I know it's been used on the same route.

Under consideration:

Mountain Laurel Superlight Bivy
RAB/Integral Designs Bugaboo II
oware bivysack Std

considering a small tarp too if needed... as added protection...

Jay

Last edited:
I like the OR bivys, and their customer service can't be beat... they replaced my 15 year old bivy for free when the gore-tex started delaminating. Add a light silnylon tarp for rainy nights and you're all set.

Might want to check out Mountain Laurel Designs.

I have, they seem fairly expensive, given that Skurka guys seems to be a one-man advertisement for them and their lead time is like 10weeks or so...

Thanks all for the advice everybody, I'm still undecided at the moment... but doing research nonetheless...

Jay

I had the Big Agnes three wire bivy for a short time. Returned because the footbox was not made of eVent material, so a ton of condensation collected at the bottom of my bag & because sleeping in it was more like being in a tiny tent than cowboy camping. From that expereince, I can tell you eVent worked very well in cold, dry conditions and just ok in humid conditions.

If you have the cash, this guy makes high quality tarps, http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccat_tarps.php.