Upper Valley Ledges 3/26-3/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
The idea for the weekend was to get in some leisurely hikes around the upper valley, with French's Ledges on Saturday, and then Holts Ledge today. ALl was going well today till my friend's hip started hurting, so we ended up turning around partway up. I was particularly looking forward to hiking up Holt's Ledge, because I was going from a section of the AT from Goose Pond Rd in Lyme, a new section to me. I'm def coming back in the fall, because there is a lot of deciduous up there.

One thing of note: I saw my first black bear of the season (yes folks, they are out!!) I was taking a picture of an ice flow comin off a ledge, and then I heard some weird commotion right above my head. So, like curious George, I went to see what was the matter. When I got up there, I saw a bear running away as fast as possible up another ledge and out of sight! Gotta love sightings like that.

Anyways, here are some pics from the weekend. First on Saturday...French's Ledges. These were taken in Plainfield NH. This is a GREAT beginner's hike with top notch views, and a mix of nice flat walking and a short almost scramble at the summit. It gives the beginner hiker a taste of different types of hiking.

Interesting skies, snow showers and virga
1230510265_8aGK7-L.jpg

Okemo
1230510359_RdN6K-L.jpg

A look south to Ascutney
1230511617_UizZA-L.jpg

1230511897_PXcBE-L.jpg

And now a look east to Corbin Park
1230511662_exGGo-L.jpg

And now, pics from today and the play on and off the Holts Ledge

1230515316_scEqK-L.jpg

Bluebird day
1230516246_No6Ed-L.jpg

another month or so, of stick season
1230516679_MDTgb-L.jpg

really neat ice flow
1230516778_HQaFh-L.jpg

View of ice, and South Moose Mtn in the distance. It was at this time when I heard the commotion of the bear above, as I was hanging from the rock...
1230517428_afNmg-L.jpg

and a nice pond on the way out, winter slowly loosening its grip
1230518094_RFHzF-L.jpg

Nothing stunningly spectacular, but I hope you like.

grouseking

more upper valley adventures

Today I took a trip up to Signal Hill in Lebanon...about 1200-1300 feet in height. This should only interest people who live in the area. But if you do a little research on the trails around here, you will find the ones for Signal Hill. Its more of a walk up along the side of two large fields, then left into the woods, where there was a bunch of rotting snow. Then it leads out to an area with a fire pit and wooden benches, where apparently there used to be great views. Right now, you can see Ascutney if you stand in the right place. haha

A couple pics

1238621708_iqpxc-L.jpg

Whaleback ski area in the distance
1238622795_TzdDa-L.jpg

Ascutney
1238622550_Xnk2y-L.jpg

a sense of scale
1238622937_ZUJwX-L.jpg

spying on the hanover well to do people
1238623187_C3qRv-M.jpg

Hope it wasnt your house :)

grouseking

You can get what used to be a $3 map of Lebanon trails free from Parks & Rec in city hall, which shows Signal Hill and several other properties

Note that the actual HP of Signal Hill is just off the preserve, occupied by an astronomical observatory behind another nice house