Vanderwhacker Mt 2/26/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
A weekend in and around the Moose Pond Club found a friend and I pondbagging on saturday and peakbagging on sunday. Saturday was pretty much a snowday with some pretty strong winds and probably about 6-8" of new powder by the time sunday morning came around. We spent the time hiking out to Nate Pond and the various ponds in the area, deciding to save the nicer day for the climb to Vanderwhacker mt fire tower.

And we so lucked out on Sunday, which was a gem of a day. We both snowshoe'd in on a sleet/snow friday evening, I decided to make use of my sled and I pulled it in about 5.5 miles along the road which had old tracks of somebody who drove all the way to the elm hill ridge. Anyway, sunday was certainly a snowshoe day and we both used snowshoes the entire day. I carried microspikes but that was just for the firetower.

The route to Vanderwhacker included some private club roads, a short bushwack to a snowmobile trail and then linking up to the red trail at the warden's cabin. Completely breaking trail the entire way through some really nice powder, especially for this "winter". Day was calm, firetower was not windy, especially compared to saturday and we were rewarded for a fantastic view of almost the entire HPs range. Marcy and Algonquin looked particularly nice and snowy and we waved at folks in Newcomb and the peaks to our north. Could see Gore Mtn and all the way to Snowy Mtn and the peaks around Indian Lake.

Really nice day and was a perfect post-storm hike..

https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20120226VanderwhackerMtn

We did Vanderwhacker in the morning and then packed up and we found snowmobile tracks from the club gate so we didn't even have to break trail out to Rt 28N. Ski conditions are good, we saw XC ski tracks on the road and heading towards VW via the trail. There is a tree across the road about 1/3 mile from Rt 28N but that is easily gone around..

Jay

Jay

I should do this one again when I have a nice day to do it... views were limited when I did it in the fall of 2010...

Yes, certainly worth the return. Ski conditions now are pretty good too for a fast ski, as the snowmobiles have packed a base up to the tree across the road that I mention... And they'll probably get some more snow tomorrow unless the storm stays around Albany...

Jay