Vermont 4000 footers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the current status of the trails to Camel's Hump and Mansfield?
I was hoping to head that way this weekend but heard that the trails might be closed due to mud season.
Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

From

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

"MUD Season - Vermont's hiking trials, saturated from snow melt, and snow and rain runoff, require special care between Sugaring Season and Memorial Day to prevent irreversible erosion and damage. Please click the links below for more details. General hiking guidelines are:

Until May 1 - stay below 1000 ft.
Until May 15 - stay below 2000 ft.
Until Memorial Day - stay below 3000 ft.
June - go for it! The sky's the limit."

In practice I was on Maine's Bigelow Mountain on Monday and there was not much mud, but I honor the GMC's closing of the trails this time of year. I have also seen it posted on this forum that it is the freeze thaw cycles of Spring causing soil instability and not mud that causes the erosion of the trails (not clear to me why Fall would be OK then). I will hike in NH and Adirondacks since they do not officially close the trails (I live in Vt).

Cheers-
John

Mud season

I was on Camels Hump, last yr, last day of mud season,of course there was no mud,but at the top the Ranger was there reminding everyone.He was fine ,and there was a roped off area,protecting alpine growth

I think the reason for the closing in spring rather then fall is because in Spring the ground is frozen on top as well as below. In the fall it is usually more on top a not as frozen below.