Vermont 5/10 - 5/11 or 5/17 - 5/18????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marysgirl

Reaction score
Is anyone out there interested in doing any of Camel's Hump, Breadloaf & Wilson, Menden or Ellen & Abraham this weekend or next?? I am coming from Western Mass and can meet??

I'm not available either weekend, but remember Camel's Hump is closed. Mendon by the usual route has some stream crossings that might be interesting in the spring. Breadloaf/Wilson may be the best idea (via Emily Proctor there's a fairly substantial crossing; I can't remember if there is coming from Skylight Pond.)

http://www.greenmountainclub.org./news.php?id=316
THE STATE OF VERMONT CLOSES ALL HIGH ELEVATION TRAILS from snowmelt in MID-APRIL until MEMORIAL DAY SATURDAY, MAY 24, 2014.

This closure basically covers the Long Trail and its side trails from Mount Ellen in Waitsfield to the Northern Terminus.

South of Mount Ellen, the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail crosses predominately federal land in the Green Mountain National Forest. Although this section of trail is not technically closed, the US Forest Service issues the following guidelines:

Date Areas usually suitable for hiking:

April 15 Trails below 1000 feet in elevation
May 1 Trails below 2000 feet in elevation
May 15 Trails below 3000 feet in elevation
Memorial Day ALL TRAILS

I'm glad I read this, I'm heading to VT tomorrow and looking to do a hike on Thursday. I had forgotten about the trail closures in Vermont at this time of year, thanks for the info.

Are you still working on any Vermont plans? I still have 6 to do!