Vermont Long Trail – Brandon Gap to Lincoln Gap: July 1 – July 3, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberzac

Reaction score
Part 1
Question: What does a native (or is that naive) Adirondacker do when recent rains mean there will be too much mud and muck in the Adirondacks to go backpacking?

Answer: He goes hiking in Vermont to do a section of the Long Trail, because everyone knows the Long Trail is always dry and mud free. {end sarcasm}

Actually we knew what we were well aware what we were in for and the Long Trail didn’t disappoint. We saw plenty of mud, but only a few spots were ankle deep or more. The participants of this trip were Sherpaman, his dog The Goat, and myself. Our plan was to hike from Brandon Gap to Lincoln Gap. Our Journey began Saturday afternoon with a 4 hour drive to Lincoln Gap to drop off a car, well finding the gap was a little bit harder than we thought from the West side and we ended up making a round about way by driving through Appalachian Gap, down to Rt. 100, and up Lincoln Gap Road from the East. Brandon Gap was much easier to find and we found ourselves at the parking area at about 9pm. We rushed south up the trail towards the Sunrise Shelter in a hope to make it to the shelter before it got dark enough to require headlamps. We made it only to find the shelter and surrounding tent sites occupied by a group of 10 hikers. The group said the saw a few places suitable for a tent around the junction of the Long Trail with the Chittenden Brook Trail, but this was 1.5 miles in the wrong direction, so we made our way back towards the gap. We managed to find a small semi level spot well off the trail that was large enough for the tent that would work fine for us as long as we didn’t get a downpouring rain; we seem to have a knack for finding these undesirable spots in the dark. We setup camp and got ready for a long uncomfortable night, two guys, a dog, plus gear in a Zeus II Exo on uneven ground can be a bit cramped.

Saturday morning we awoke to the downpour we were hoping not to get. It took close to an hour for the rain to stop and my sleeping pad was the only thing that kept my sleeping bag dry. We quickly packed up and hiked back to my car just as the next string of storms moved through. After the rain finally stopped we once again hit the trail. The hike up Mt Horrid was pretty steep and really got the blood and sweat flowing. We took the side trail to the top of the cliff where the wind made it hard to stand. We didn’t hang out on the cliff too long and soon found ourselves pushing northward over the summit of Mt Horrid. It was somewhere in this section that we began to see moose sign in the trail. First tracks than many large piles of poo. Haven’t the moose heard of LNT? ;) They left quite a mess all over the trail. We made a stop at Cape Lookoff where we got a nice view of the inside of a cloud. Sherpaman told me that he had the same view the last time he hiked that section of trail 5 years ago. That was pretty much the tone for the morning hiking the trail, see lots of moose sign (at one point I heard something stomp its feet a couple times off in the woods, but never saw anything) and get socked in views at any of the lookouts. By the end of the morning the sun finally came out and it had become a hot and sticky day. We took a couple breaks as the day went, one at Sucker Brook Shelter, and one at Lake Pleiad where The Goat took a swim to cool off. Our final push was to the Boyce Shelter. At the shelter we only saw two other hikes, the first looked at us as he simply said, “I’m in the zone.” The second smiled and nodded as he walked by. We would end up running into these two the next day. We cooked dinner and hung around the shelter for a few hours before we went to sleep around 8.
Saturday night and Sunday mileage – 15 miles
Elevation Gain - 5106’
Elevation Loss - 4055’

I'll post Part 2 when I finish writing it.

Part 2
We woke up early Monday morning. The sun was out and the air was cool. We drank some coffee and were on the trail before 6. Over the year we have grown fond of getting on the trail early when hiking in the summer. The bulk of our hiking ends up before the temperatures get real hot and the views tend to be a little less hazy. Our first climb of the day was Mt Boyce. The wooded summit didn’t offer much for views, but we did find a clearing below the summit that provided a mostly unobstructed view to the east. We were able to see the clouds lift over part of the Whites (I think we were looking at the Franconia Ridge, but I’m not sure). Our next stop was Sunset Rock. The view was simply amazing. We could see straight across the Champlain Valley and see the Adirondack High Peaks. We were able to identify Giant, Rocky Peak, the Dix Range, the Great Range, and Whiteface, before we gave up naming peaks. The next climb was up Breadloaf Mountain. Sherpaman remembered this being a really tough climb five years ago so I was a bit surprised by the climb. The trail was steep, but the pitch was a lot shorter than I expected. Breadloaf didn’t seem to have any views, but now I wonder if there were some off the spur trail that we passed up. We took a rest break at Emily Proctor Shelter and enjoyed reading the shelter journal. Unfortunately the views that Sherpaman remembered at the shelter were no longer there was a lot of spruce trees that had grown tall and blocked the view. From there the trail was a bit of a roller coaster ride with lots of ups and downs as it made its way towards Cooley Glen. The hike over to Mt. Cleveland seemed like it would never end. When we arrived at the shelter we were greeted by one of the guys that had past by use at the Boyce Shelter the day before. He went by the trail name of Mr. Mountaingoat and him and his companion, Firefly, were thru hiking the AT and decided to take a side trip following the LT to Canada. We chatted for a while before he decided to try and catch up with Firefly. This wouldn’t be the last time we would see them as we ended up leapfrogging with them the last 4.7 miles to Lincoln Gap. Soon we were making our way up Mount Grant ourselves. The view from the top looked toward the south and we could see much of the ridgeline that we hike that day and the day before. The day was getting hot and sticky and we now regretted not backtracking at Cooley Glen for water, as we never found any between Mt Grant and Lincoln Gap Road. Both of us ran out of water before we got to Sunset Ledge. We didn’t stay at the ledge for very long as it was getting crowded and we ran into several groups going up as we made our way to the trailhead. As we were loading our gear into the truck Mr. Mountaingoat and Firefly came down the trail. We shared a box of cheez-its and chatted for close to a half hour before we had to leave for home. What a couple of great guys. I wish them luck with their journey to Canada as well as Katahdin. I look forward to reading their journal entries in the shelters during my hike this August.
Monday mileage – 14.2 miles
Elevation Gain - 3544’
Elevation Loss - 4329’

Total trip mileage – 29.2 miles
Elevation Gain - 8650’
Elevation Loss - 8384’

Notes and reflection:
Hiking in Vermont and the Long Trail is sloppy, but a lot of fun.
I think they need to change the name of the Long Trail to the “Moose Track Trail.” I don’t think we hike more than a quarter mile without seeing some type of moose sign.
Now I really can’t wait for my hike from Lincoln Gap to the Canadian Boarder at the end of August.