VFTT Female Hikers!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
My wife has been asking me whether there are any women's hikers groups in MA as she has been interested in doing some hiking with other women and perhaps making some new friends.

Do you know of anything like this?

Do any of you gals hike together on a regular basis? If so, would you mind if I had my wife PM you about possibly heading out one of these days?

She is 31 and has done 12 of the 48 to this point.

Cheers,
Dundare

She could try joining one of the Mass. chapters of the AMC... I find the one for my area (southeastern Mass.) has hikes that too low-key for me, but I'm pretty sure you can join any chapter you like.

I don't know of any women-specific groups, however.

I'm always looking for hiking partners who don't mind hiking at my slow pace. Right now, I'm mostly hiking in Maine but by the end of Sept., I'll be back in NH mostly. Feel free to have your wife pm me if she'd like! :)

- Ivy

I do not know if the the fundraiser you are referring to is the one I am thinking of - for a women's shelter they do a fundraising backpack once a year. My wife was going to do it this year - but she was out of town for work at the time.

Thanks for the replies so quickly...

That is the one (fundraiser) she organized. I think bunchberry is also involved in that. I do not know of any woman specific groups, but there are lots of woman that hike that post at VFTT.

I don't know of any women specific groups, but I occasionally organize "Estrogen hikes" for my University Outing club (in response to hardcore hikes the guys started calling "Testosterone hikes" because no girl [before me] would dare go on them.) They are generally pretty hardcore, but I generally enjoy a good mix of males and females.

The fundraiser you all are referring to is called Wilderness Heals, and it raises money for the Elizabeth Stone House, a women's shelter and alternative mental health program in Jamaica Plain, MA. I have done the three-day hike in the Whites for the past two years, and it has been a great all women experience! However, the group of women who participate do not hike together regularly throughout the year, so participating in this event does not translate into hiking buddies year-round. (In the two months (May-early June) preceding the event, however, there are a series of hikes that are offered to all hike participants for training (completing one qualifying hike is required).)

We'd love to have your wife join us in June 2006! See http://www.elizabethstonehouse.org/ for more information.

That fundraiser aside, I know that the women on VFTT are all great people to hike with year-round! I too want to get out more with them, as I am always looking for people to hike with. My advice for your wife would be to do as others have recommended--respond to the thread when someone posts a hike she is interested in, or post one herself and see who replies! She can even post one for all women. I have met several people on VFTT even though I have not hiked with many, and everyone has been great!