VFTT Monadnock - Saturday 11/13/04

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
I woke up to find 2" of snow on the ground, which is always a good (nah, make that great!) way to start the day. While eating breakfast I did a final check of VFTT and weather. After seeing Alpinista's thread to form a Monadnock Sunday faction, I wondered if any VFTT'ers would be at Monadnock on Saturday. I headed up and found BrianW, who was part of the Tully hike a few weeks ago, in the parking area along with KayakDan and partner. BrianW had seen HikerBob, who headed uphill around 9. I went into the store and found Hammerdee. As we caught up on happenings since the Wapack hike this spring, BobKittredge came in, followed by Percious and wife Emily, then by Quietman and QuietmanJr.

After some discussion we settled on an uphill route of White Dot to Cascade Link to Red Spot to Pumpelly to reach the summit. KayakDan and partner would get a later start since they departed to set up camp for the evening. All were in good spirits as we followed HikerBob's lone tracks up the mountain. We saw several fat and friendly chipmunks. BrianW was great at identifying tracks in the snow including coyote, fox, field mouse, grouse, and the ever-elusive HikerBob. At Red Spot, Hammerdee split from the group to take Spellman to Pumpelly. We lost Percious and Emily along the way, we hope you made it back safely!

The views along the way were beautiful. We could see the Whites, which were truly white, and the ski trails on Wachusett. We reached the summit with only a little ice sliding, except for QuietmanJr who slid most of the way up and down. We were the only hikers there, which has to be some kind of record on Monadnock. It was 26 F with a good wind blowing. We found a sunny spot sheltered from the wind for lunch. Despite taking a longer route, Hammerdee reached the summit ahead of us. Along the way he found and passed HikerBob. As we finished our lunches, the crowds began to arrive. Just as we were leaving the summit, HikerBob stepped up to introduce himself.

As we descended via White Dot, we passed KayakDan and partner on their way up. BrianW recognized another hiker, who he'd met on a night hike of Monadnock on July third. After putting away the football, the Quietmen engaged in familial snowball warfare. We reached the bottom, and found Hammerdee trying keys on the Hikers' Cabin. While the Quietmen built a snow hiker on the picnic table, Hammerdee tried each key on two separate rings. We gave up and went into the Visitor's Center next door to wait.

As we waited, BrianW's mystery hiker went by. Today was his 198th and 199th (so far this year, #200 is scheduled for tomorrow) hikes of Monadnock because he not only went up, but down the other side and back again. At 3:15, BobKittredge had already left, and the rest of us were getting cold. Quietman left a note and Hammerdee spoke with the rangers in case other VFTT'ers were looking for us, then We were off to the pub in Peterboro. We shared a plate of yummy veggie nachos with the usual post-hike discussions. All in all, a thumbs up, despite deserting a very disappointed big white dog at home. Quietman said it all after we met a man who was descending while we were above tree line on the way up. The man said that he was having a "fair" day. Quietman wondered what else he could possibly rather be doing that would make today only fair, since it was such a great day for us.

I hope the Sunday faction has as good a hike as we did!

Last edited:
Great report Dugan, see why we were glad that you volunteered to do this. Great time, too bad some couldn't make it, it would have been nice to meet some more VFTT'ers, but was still a great day.
Short lost and found memo: We didn't put the football away, Jr. left if 3/4 up the White Dot. A pm would be appreciated if anyone happens to see it!
I hope that you guys will do some more trips in S. NH so that I can join in again! Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes! It's the elusive HikerBob :)

What a great day on a great mountain. For anyone who has never sampled the delights of Monadnock I will say this - don't underestimate it!

I took the White Dot, Cascade Link, Spellman, Pumpelly route up and the Spellman threw me the toughest scrambles I've encountered so far in my renewed hiking career. If it were not for the assistance of CT Troop 82 I would probably have turned around at one point and found an easier way up.

The spellman is also woefully marked. I don't recall seeing a single blaze the whole way up. I basically followed other footprints, the directions of one of the troop members who had climbed that route several times before, and my nose until I came accross the Pumpelly trail.

The views from the ridge and summit were glorious although haze blurred the distant points. Maybe my camera saw better than I did :) I measured a summit temp of 28* F and an average wind speed of 12mph with gusts to 20mph. It was pretty raw in the wind!

At the summit I caught up to Hamerdee who had passed me on the Spellman while I was caught up with Troop 82 and the host of folk named by Dugan. Thankfully I do not have to remember all the names, something I am terrible at. The others had spent long enough at the cold summit and headed down while I remained to take pictures and have a munch.

The summit was very crowded and very noisy by the time I started to head down the White Dot/Cross route. At around the point where the trails pop out onto the barren summit area I bumped into two hikers who asked "Are you Bob? HikerBob?" I couldn't deny it. It was KayakDan and his partner Linda. We chatted a while and they decided to head down with me rather than push on to the summit which they have visited many times before.

The White Cross trail is signed "Least Steep Descent" but it too had a few tricky spots. The three of us chatted away as we made an easy pace down, stopping on occasion to allow other groups pass.

I decided to pass on the post hike munchies which would have taken me a ways in the opposite direction to my journey home and said my goodbyes to Dan & Linda at the ranger station.

Monadnock is said to be the second most climbed mountain in the world after Mt Fuji in Japan. After today I can confirm that to be the case and I can also see why. This is one 'little' mountain that offers some great challenges and fantastic views. Best to start early to avoid the inevitable crowds but well worth a vist and one place that I will most definitely be coming back to.

Bob

What? No mention of my gracious buttocks slide. I feel I deserved a 9.5. Really a whole dry piece of granite and I find the only piece of ice to slip on. :eek: Very fun hike and it was nice to meet some other VFTTer's.

HikerBob, believe it or not, for Monadnock it was slow day. Come foliage season the mountain will have thousands summiting.

A long day

Thought I would let you all know how are day went after you all went on ahead. Basically, Red Dot proved to be quite a challenge for Emily, who is not as seasoned a hiker as the rest of us. Seamingly endless scrambles, followed by a couple of tough slab sections put us on top with high winds, but beautiful views.

Along the way, a hiker who had passed us on one of the difficult sections managed to severely injure his knee. Not one member of his party carried a first aide kit, so I offered to help by wrapping his injured knee (ace bandage + duct tape), giving him pain killers, and making sure he was warm. I believe that he walked out under his own power, if only with great difficulty. This probably delayed us for 45mins-1 hour, because the man stood helpless on the tough section of slab while his group members scrambled. Emily and I continued onto the summit, making it there around 2pm. We were joined by some boy-scouts, it was a crowded, windy summit, but we managed to hunker down behind some rocks. I longed for my camera, as you could see clear to CT that day.

We hunkered down and drank some hot cocoa, ate some dried apples, and tried to recouperate a bit. At 230 we left the summit. We decided to take the White Cross trail down, which was my originally intended route up. This route proved to be shorter, less technical, and overall a pretty easy way to get up/down Monadnock. I was cursing the ranger who told us *not* to bring crampons, as I think they would have aided Emily and myself with this section. As we decended, the day was ending, with a brillian crimson sky. I was starting to get worried about the time, but upon checking my pack, I found one working headlamp, so we were all set. At 430 the sun set, and we used the head lamp for the remaining trip back to the car. We arrived at 530.

We drove a loop around the campsite to see if there was VFTT gathering, but there were no indications of such, so we headed home.

It was good to meet some of you.

-percious

Percious, sorry you had a tough day, but glad to hear that you both made it up and down safely. The Red Dot was quite slippery and icy in some places, more than I would've guessed. Our trip down the White Dot was also very icy and slow. Sounds like the White Cross was the way to go! Good thing you were able to help the injured person. We passed the park ranger on his way up to help an injured person, must have been the same guy. Too bad his buddies were clueless.
Hope to hike with you again sometime.

Dugan said:
I hope the Sunday faction has as good a hike as we did!

The Sunday faction had a wonderful day on the mountain today. Though Alpinista & I were sorry not to get a chance to meet everyone. We did run into KayakDan & Linda though, as they prepared to head off to Little Mountain.

We decided to take the Red Dot Trail up and it certainly was slippery to say the least. Lots of spots where we could have used regular crampons instead of the stabilicers/Yak Trax. The wind was pretty fierce and we turned around on the Pumpelly Trail just a couple of tenths of a mile before summiting because Lisa wasn't feeling great. We then took the Smith Connector Trail over to the White Dot Trail for an easier decent down. All in all it was a beautiful day with visibility of 100+ miles according to the rangers!

-- Ivy

Ivy & Alpinista, glad you had another great day for it! Any time you want to go back for another visit just let me know :)

I finally got my pictures finished but have yet to add all the comments.

They can be found starting HERE

Bob

HikerBob -- Great pictures as always! I'm guessing because I'm bad at comparing size without seeing things first hand, but the footprints in the snow look like they could be from a fox. They look like the ones we've seen in our woods and we know for sure there are foxes out there.

- Ivy

Good pictures HikerBob! I'm sorry we didn't really get a chance to meet. I thought your web page format seemed familiar... wasn't it you that gave me directions to the B-17 memorial on Mt Tom?

Percious - I wonder which ranger you spoke with? On entering the park, I was cautioned about the icy conditions. When I said I brought instep crampons, the ranger said to make sure I packed them. I'm glad you both persevered!

We saw those tracks too, I thought fox also, BrianW agreed. Dog and coyote tend to have not so round a foot. BrianW also said that fox tend to move in a single track a little more consistently. I don't agree with ruling out dog tracks simply because dogs aren't allowed in the park. I wouldn't be surprised if there were feral dogs, or if some people sneak dogs in anyway. The ranger looked very closely into the crate in my car - like I could hide 120 lbs of dog flesh under my jacket!

As for BrianW's fall - it was a good one, with an even better save, but paled in comparison to QuietmanJr's virtually constant almost-falls!

Dugan et al, there will be many more opportunities to meet for sure and I look forward to them all. Yes, it was my directions that amazingly worked for you to find the B-17 memorial on Mt Tom (MA) :)

Going back over the trip in my mind, and looking at the pictures, brought home just how much my preconception of Monadnock was flawed. On paper it is a small mountain with many well travelled trails, none of which is any great distance. The reality was that I found myself faced with some of the toughest challenges of my recently renewed hiking endeavours.

The Spellman trail is certainly one of the steepest trails I've ever negotiated and the snow and ice added additional hazards. Even the 'Least steep descent' of the White Cross trail was no walk in the park and the bare slabs of the summit area only appear deceivingly easy.

While the White Mountains have the draw of 'big' mountain, Monadnock is every bit as challenging and I will certainly be returning to check out the other trails and learn the other delights this mountain has to offer.

Bob

I think HikerBob hit it on the nose. Most people underestimate Monadnock, it may not have the elevations of the Whites or the distances, but it is a steep and rocky climb and has many interesting and challenging trails. I climb Monadnock almost every week, primarily because it’s close to home (7 miles), but also because it’s a great workout and training for more adventurous climbs. Yes it does get crowded on the weekends but if you get an early start or take one of the lesser known trails, you can hike most of the day and see very few hikers. Stay away from the White Dot, White Cross and White Arrow trails and you will avoid the crowds. If you want a long hike take the Pumpelly trail that starts at Dublin Lake, it’s a 9 mile round trip with excellent views along the ridge.

Linda and I had a great weekend,and were glad to meet you all. We were just wishing we could have coordinated a bit more,but it seems everybody met up somewhere along the trail. We headed up to meet the group,but the chats with other hikers slowed us a bit and we met them on the downside. Hiker Bob just looked like the person I expected,and I got it right on the first attempt! We had a pleasant,but slippery trip down with Bob,and parted company in the parking lot. We were headed for Harlows,but figured we were too late,and ended up at our favorite,O'Briens,in Jaffrey. Then it was back to our big,empty group campsite! Wish we had more hearty campers to join us!
After a nice breakfast Sunday,we met up with Ivy and Alpinista in the parking lot. They went up and we headed for Little Mountain and Cliff Walk.
For those of you not familiar with CW,it's no picnic! Lot's of steep scrambles,which weren't any easier with the snow and leaves. Many sections have no markings. When I asked Andrew ,the park manager about the markings,he told us"we discourage people from CW unless they have the expertise to find the trail,and we know they are capable". Good advice. The views,however,are worth the work. We ended up the day,retrning to the rangers station at dusk,to spend some time chatting with our friend Andrew,and then on to O'Briens for another great meal.
Looking forward to seeing you at another gathering!
Dan

HikerBob, nice pics. The "unknown hill" (pic. 29) is Crotched Mt. locatated in Francistown/Bennington NH, I believe you are correct on IDing Mt. Washington and the Quabbin. I noticed fox tracks along the Cascade Link and a set of coyote higher up on the Red Spot.

Dugan, sorry I didn't notice QuietmanJr. sliding most of the way down the mountain. I tried to keep my distance from the War of the Quietman Clan, did not want to get nailed by a snowball :eek:

How many of you New Englanders would like to come over to the ADKs for our
"Monodnock", some Saturday this winter?
Noonmark is a great peak, 3,556' with a bare rocky top, open ridge the last few hundred feet, and looks up and out in all directions at the High Peaks?

Saturday hike followed by dinner and adult beverages afterward?

Peakbagr

I too am interested. Is there a place we can camp for the night? This would be an arrive-on-saturday leave on sunday trip for me. What is just beyond Noonmark? LWJ? Any body interested in comboing this with a traverse down Bennies Brook? Is this do-able in winter?

-percious

What is just beyond Noonmark? LWJ?

Without benefit of my maps here at work, I think the closest high peak is Dial Mt. In fact, back in the mid-90's, we contemplated a bushwhack from Noonmark to Bear Den, and then on to Dial. But we never did it. Maybe it's time to think about that again ......

Bushwhack or not, I'd be interested in climbing Noonmark again.

Guys,

I thought Noonmark would be a good ADK get-together. Mixing a nice winter hike with great views and a chance to socialize during and afterward. If we start doing variations, add-ons, and stuff that will extend the day, the tenor and duration of the trip is completely changed and the chance for a bite to eat and drink afterward are diminished.

I'd be happy to join you on a trip to Dial or the WJs another weekend, BIMHO, its probably advisable to stick with something that the majority of folks will want to do. For those interested, a jaunt up the Range Trail would make a nice Sunday hike before the drive home.