Wanna finish the ADK 46!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikerick

Reaction score
As of 01/06/05, I have 7 peaks left to finish my winter 46:

Seward & Seymour (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the road has been closed, so these could be a looooooooooooong walk!)

Santanoni & Panther

MacComb, South Dix & East Dix (I'm thinking of going in from Elk lake, up the MacComb slide, over So & E, back over So, & down from the So & Pough col via Lillian Brook--hey, I said I'm thinking about it! The other option is from 73 along the south branch of the Bouquet, up East, So, MacComb, back over South Dix, & bushwack down from somewhere on the ridge--I'd like to do this with someone who's done it before. The 3rd option is the West Mill Brook trail, but I discovered that starts 1000 feet lower than Elk Lake, so maybe not the best idea . . . .) Any thoughts?

I'm looking for companions to accompany me on any or all of the trips I'll need to make to do these hikes. My plan right now is to watch the trail reports and the weather reports, and when my schedule is good, the trail's been broken, and the weather looks good, take a vacation day and GO FOR IT! (This strategy worked well for me last year--seven summits, with only one failed attempt--and that was because I ignored the weather). My goal (tentatively) is to try to finish this winter.

Anyone interested?

Hey Rick,
I haven't done any of these in the winter and haven't done the Santanonis at all. I would like to try them later in the season - maybe even ski to Bradley pond if we get some snow and if it's possible. Let me know when and if you are planning to go.

More details?

Doug the Gremlin,

When exactly are you heading up on Feb 11-13? With a 3 day window, it sounds like you're planning on camping (yes, no?). I may be able to go on the 11 or 12, depending on my son's condition (he's have surgery earlier in the week, and I won't go hiking that weekend unless he's in good shape).

Feb 25 remains a possibility for me, as well! I won't know for sure until we get a little closer to that time!

SkiDoc22--You're on my "hikers" e-mail list now, so whenever I plan a hike, you'll be getting the message!!!! Lookin' forward to gettin' out again!!!
:D
Rick

I recommend going up the slide on E.Dix and would love to join you on that one if you go before March 21st. I did it twice this summer and I got lost both times so I'm ready to lead the way!

Seymour

Hey Rick,

I have 1 peak left for Winter 46 in Seymour, which I'm planning to climb on January 29th. The road is closed so this makes for an approx. 20 mile day.

Mike

I also plan to climb Seymour, the Dixes, and Couch this winter. Not sure of when but may be interested in hooking up on one or more of these.

I'm told the best winter approach to the Seymor Range is directly from the North up to the middle peak.

After many attempts at this Range I've decided to break it up. Last week-end there were 16 people at Bradley Pond including a group of ADK instructors (whatever that is) and no-one did more than Panther in the three day window.

Time is the big enemy here.

I plan on spending Thursday night at the hotel in Long Lake to get to trailhead early and refreshed. Friday up to the lean-to and Saturday to do ONE of the two peaks I have left and out Sunday.

I feel that three days per peak is the most realistic plan.

I hope everything goes well with your son.

BTW, ski-ing this trail is, in my opinion, impossible.

Doug

Santanoni Range

Hi Doug, :)

Junior made a plan to go this Fryday morning in Santanoni, May be Inge will go with Us!!!

This week We need only Panther & Santanoni, but We also need for this Winter Couche...at this time We think it is more realiste to have for goal Santanoni & Panther

I think We will start from the usual Santanoni parking around 7h a.m. for a day hike....if You like You are the welcome with Us!!! :) :)

Pinpin Junior :D

Doug, I’m very interested in joining you on one if not both of your trips to the Santanoni Range this February. I need to upgrade some of my gear first, and make sure I will be able to carry it in my pack (I don’t want to pull a sled into Bradley Pond). I’ll keep you posted on my status.

Gremlin said:
The Santanoni trailhead parking is closed. You have to (drop your pack and ...) park at the Mount Allen trailhead and walk back. The road is well sanded (you probably know all this).

Doug
Last year when I went (March) everyone was parked right on the road.

And Lumberzac, I figured you'd be keen for the East Dix slide.

When you hike the Santanonis, you should be able to park on the road by the entrance to the trailhead parking area. Don't block the driveway though, since there are land owners who use snowmobiles on the private road.

I'm planning to hike the Dix Range (all 5) at the end of February with ADK4487; we'll probably camp one night up there. You're welcome to join us on all or part of that hike. By the way, let's all start referring to S. Dix as "Carson", and to E. Dix as "Grace Peak", as a way to honor those individuals and make those names common use. -AlG

"The best laid plans . . . . "

I've gotten lost in the message traffic! I can no longer keep track of who's going when!

But, in general, to Neil, Gremlin, MLepore, Rik, skidocc22, AlG, and anyone else who's paying attention . . . .

Yes, I'll go for those Dix's before March 21, Neil, and I'd welcome your assistance in navigating from Route 73! Keep me posted on your schedule, and I'll post another message when I've got a better idea of my available dates. My biggest problem right now is that I have so many other things going on that I don't know exactly when I'll be able to get out!

I generally can not go on Sundays, so I don't even include them on my list of possible dates. Right now, it looks like my next chance to get out will be Sat, 01/29. After that, I may be able to take a vacation day or two from 01/31 through 02/03. Then, maybe Sat 02/05. Can't go 02/08 or 02/09, or 02/12 through 02/14, or 02/17-02/19. I won't get out on one of 02/25 or 02/26, but I don't know which day will be tied up yet. Can't go 02/28 through 03/04.

More power to ya if you can make sense of all that! Bottom line is: I'm waiting and watching for opportunities. My pack is ready, my gear is staged, so when the weather, the trails, and my schedule line up--*pfew* I'm out the door! Keep an eye out on the forum, or send me an e-mail address & I'll get a message to you directly, when I'm planning on going.

Hope to meet some of you guys on the trails!!!!!

Thanks!

Have Three Left...

I am interested! I still have Couch, Allen and Seward left to finish (finally!) my first round. Don't care if they are in Winter or Summer!!

Hikerick said:
As of 01/06/05, I have 7 peaks left to finish my winter 46:
Santanoni & Panther
Anyone interested?

I'm definitely interested in hiking Santanoni & Panther. February 11-13, 18-20th, or 25-27th would work for me.

I think those two could be done in a dayhike but would be open to camping at the lean-to.

-Shayne

Last edited:
Let me know what you guys end up doing..if you decide on a day hike for Santonini/Panther, I'll be in Lake Placid on February 20th and could probably join up with you. I need those two and would love to attempt them before the end of the winter.