Washing Tents/ Mold and mildew stains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbjette

Reaction score
I have a nice 2 person 3 season backpacking tent. A couple 4 years ago i was forced to put it away in the rain then i had a two day car ride through the rain, so needless to say it didn't get washed out and dried in a timely manner. Now there are little round dark spots everywhere and it kind of smells bad no matter how many times I wash with soap and water. Any suggestions on how I might be able to take care of this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

You can shorten that process by putting the tent in a kiddie pool, submersing it in water, then adding about a pint or so of bleach and stir. Use rubber gloves to protect yourself and use a sponge to rinse off the mildew spots. The lemon juice would give it a nice lingering smell so I can't see using the juice before the bleach.

You could even lay the tent flat on concrete, soak it with water, fill a bucket with soap and water, add sufficient bleach and wash it with a mop and/or sponge.

Either system, let dry in sunlight.

The key is getting rid of the black spots.

jjmcgo said:
You can shorten that process by putting the tent in a kiddie pool, submersing it in water, then adding about a pint or so of bleach and stir.

Add the bleach to the water before the tent. The concentrated bleach before it is fully mixed eith the water could damage the tent.