Weekly Email For NH and ME Like DEC's NY Email?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
When I started researching some hikes in the Adirondacks for this year several people on the NY forum posted a lot of great resources. One I particularly like is a weekly email that the DEC sends every Sunday that recaps news, incidents/rescues, trail conditions, road status, awards, conservation efforts, etc. It is a very thorough, organized email with links to additional resources and I find it to be a great "one-stop" way to keep up on things in NY without scouring numerous websites. I was wondering if anything like this exists for NH and/or ME? I think they had more frequent options too and a lot more possible info but the weekly email is a nice, compact burst of information.

In a related question, apparently all hiker distress calls are routed through a single phone number for all of the Adirondacks, regardless of what part. Are there similar "one-stop" help numbers for NH and ME? I've intended for quite some time to put a "cheat sheet" together for myself and my wife in the event of a mishap and if I recall correctly NH had multiple numbers depending on where you were (because different ranger districts had jurisdiction). If anyone can point me in the direction of these help numbers it would be appreciated.

For distress calls, the WMG states
"In emergencies, call 911 or the toll-free New Hampshire State Police number (800-525-5555)."
I don't know about Maine.
One-stop help numbers are apparently in response to highly publicized instances where appropriate aid was delivered in a less than timely manner. http://amcstore.outdoors.org/desperate-steps is a good read, which discusses injuries and deaths in the northeast, and their aftermaths.

I make a point to save emergency numbers gleaned from various trail guides and other resources inside the front covers of said resource and on my cell phone. Various state maps also have good emergency contact, road, weather and other conditions which, if you travel, are worth saving in some convenient place.

I don't believe there is a best single source or recap of New England news and I'd be skeptical if anyone claimed one. We each have our own best sourceS, VFTT is one of mine. I'm increasingly troubled by Facebook and the sheep who follow such trending instincts ... they are increasingly invasive of privacy (how do you think they make their billions?), foster some strange cultures (bravado in the mountains being one) and political in their algorithyms. Do a search these days and you're bombed with ads, not information. Find trusted sources ... and let us know what they are.