West Mill Brook parking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Thinking of camping and whacking around the Bear Mtn. Wyman Mtn. East Dix area via West Mill brook. Anybody know where one would park for a winter approach? And what would the distance be from where you park to where you would cross under 87. I inquired about this trip earlier in the year and it got, much appreciated, great reviews. However I neglected to inquire about trailhead parking. Info much appreciated. Buddy

In summer there is plenty of parking up and down the road (Rte. 9) where the trailhead is. There is a trailhead sign. Don't know how it is this winter, but I can't imagine there would be a problem parking on the shoulder, unless there was a lot of snow.
It's .8 to the culvert access under the Northway and another .3 to the parking area. It's driveable in the summer, but a little bumpy.
Day hikers have parked at the rest stop on the Northway, but State Police have told hikers not to park there.

There is also a State Campground about 1/2 mile north from the winter trailhead. If parking on the shoulder does not look good you may be able to park at the campground and walk the road.

Rt 9 Parking

Just north of the trailhead sign is a pull-off parking area good for 5-6 vehicles. When I hiked the Dix Range two years ago from West Mill I used this approach. Its weird to begin and end a high peaks hike by walking through an underpass on the northway.