What type of vehicle do you drive?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a ford escape in 01 and I'am very happy with it. It will carry 5 people
plus gear, tow a trailer,and goes like a tank in the snow [4wd] and get a respectable 24mpg. The rear seat will also fold flat for sleeping or carrying something large. They are also available in a hybird model.
My other car is a motorcycle,45mpg

I currently own a 2002 VW Beetle. The trunks on them are very small, well, heck, the whole car is small except for the extra long dashboard. But it's great on gas mileage (about 32-35 mpg).

I used to own a GMC Jimmy 4WD and boy am I now glad I got rid of that gas guzzler.

My little Beetle does OK, though I won't take it the whole way down the CVR in Maine!

Im on my third Toyota pickup. I rig it with a foam pad in the back and sleep in on all my climbs. My first truck I got 260,000, second one 250,000 (sold it for 2500) my present Toy only has 47k, and Im glad I have it because the way things are going, I might be living in it soon.

Pete_Hickey said:
I'm not going to have a car which burns more feul just for the times I might need it.

I used to drive a Grand Cherokee with the big V-8, because of course I needed it. Yeah right. The 2% of those times I liked having it were never by necessity, only for tingling the urges of youthful impetuousness. Same thing with 4WD. FWD will get you by 98% of the time, and the money saved you can rent a Hummer for those rare occassions and still come out ahead.

Rehabbing an old Victorian, I drive my F-150 about 2500 miles a year, including a couple of trips to the mountains. Usually I borrow my brother's LeSabre to drive to the mountains. A super smooth granny ride that you can speed in like crazy. What cop is going to pull you over in one of those?

Next vehicle will be one of the new low-emission diesels. Fuel will be bio-diesel, most of which will be my own R-100. Can't beat 55 to 65 cents a gallon and diesel mileage! Would love to track down a rare European market Eurovan camper ... ah what sunshine daydreams are made of ...

Love my 02 Subaru Forester. And yes, we use the space inside. The thing is packed most every wekend. The 4 cylinder and shoe box shape still have a lot of pickup (plenty for me to pass that truck) even after 100,000 miles.

I'm looking for a vehicle to replace my very old Pontiac (almost dead). Anyone hav any experience with the new Hyundai Tucson?

I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra access cab with a cap on the bed. Room for 4 or 5 adults, and all the gear they might need. Room to put kayaks on the top. A v8 engine, so it will move along the highway and up/down hills. Four wheel drive for snow and off road, and pulling little cars out of snow banks. A big enough bed I can move a kid home from college in one trip. Before all the comments about mileage and burning so much gasoline start: I live .75 miles from my office, and I often walk to work. In 2004 I bought 379.55 gallons of gas and drove 5,786 miles. My wife's car is a Toyota Camry, which gets better mileage and is used for long trips without much stuff or the kayaks. Last year that vehicle was driven less than 9,000 miles.

Another proud Element owner. Roomy enough to sleep 2 comfortably with the back seats up. Love it but I'm also hoping for a hybrid version.

Just a gentle reminder that this thread is not really hiking related. If I had seen it sooner I would have deleted it but since there are 4 pages of replies, I will leave it alone. I know we really do not need any more moderation drama this week.

As you can tell by 4 pages of posts in 1 day, this thread is just chatty. That is the reason why I do not allow threads like this on the site. This is not a chat room to discuss the merits of a hemi (just an example, I am not trying to single anyone out).

Thanks for understanding and try to keep things on focus in the future.

- darren

cannondale sm 700 weather permitting and mta new york city transit the rest of the time.
to the trailheads it public transportation, friends with cars, wifes mothers car or my favorite the rent a car.

Just to keep the thread related, I once hiked to the top of my honda civic. It was early-to-mid september but I still needed crampons due to the early morning frost. It only took me about two minutes two summit (after a tricky ascent over the infamous "bumpers edge," but I still managed to make it w/ out rope, map, or compass). Then again, I'm a pretty hard-core hiker!

Status
Not open for further replies.