Which boots would you wear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Heading to the Northern Presis this weekend and staying at one of the RMC camps. I have a pair of Sorel Conquests (rated to minus 40) and a pair of Montrail GTXs. The weather forecast is for mid 40s during the day and 25 at night and I expect to see snow and ice just about everywhere.

My question - which boots would you use? Is the insulation of the Sorels going to be torture in a 40 degree day? Would the better waterproofing of these boots be needed? My crampons and snowshoes fit both pair well.

Thanks for any advice....

the shaq-daddy of the VFTT game

kevin, you slam-dunked that question. if i were a sports announcer, i'd proclaim "WITH AUTHORITY!"

:p

Whoa... creepy, Mike. I was just going to ask that question in a post this morning! Looks like it'll be my Sorels on Friday.

Thanks for the tip, Kevin. Always helpful. :)

For me a boot designed for -40 would be too warm when the temperature was above freezing. My socks would be wet all day.

I've hiked in my Montrail GTX's for a couple of winters now and the only time my feet have been a little cold is when the temperature was around -22C plus wind. They have tackled a lot of snow and ice like champs.

I'm not familiar with the RMC camps, are they enclosed? just regular campsites? On the overnighters I've had my Montrails they are chilly putting them on the next morning, although at 25 degrees my feet would warm up pretty quick.

I don't know much about the Conquests, I looked them up, they seem to be a pretty sturdy boot. How has hiking with them been in the past? Have your feet gotten too warm in the past? If not go for the Sorels. Have your feet gotten cold in the GTX's in the past?

Hope you have a good hike!

-Shayne

Last edited:
I dont think Soreals are good for mountaineering at all period, a lot of people use them in place of good mountaineering boots imo I wear Lasportiva Lohstes, and yes I will be in them on sat, its time to make the transition to cold weather equipment or you will be sorry up high.

spaddock said:
I've hiked in my Montrail GTX's for a couple of winters now and the only time my feet have been a little cold is when the temperature was around -22C plus wind. They have tackled a lot of snow and ice like champs.

-Shayne

Shayne
How arethese with crampons? What type do you use.

Thanks

I personally never considered Sorels' hiking boots. I always considered them to be more of a standing around boot. You know, ice fishing, hunting, that type of thing. My feet would be soaking wet hiking with that type of boot. Now that's me and I might add that I haven't used a Sorel boot in quite a while and they may now make a fine hiking boot that I am not aware of. I might use it after the hike when standing around camp.

Also, will they accept a crampon if you need them.

Again, YMMV and all other standard disclaimers apply.
Keith

The Montrails and Sorels I have both fit my Charlet Moser 10-pt strap ons...I am concerned about the heat, but the waterproofness may trump. I know a few here who have done very well with this combo. I needed a boot that was in my budget and had uses beyond hiking (playing with the kids in blizzards, shoveling, commuting, etc...) and would protect against the cold.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Althought the Torre GTX's have a goretex lining I still treat the outsides to help repel water from the outsides.

This helps the leather from getting soaked and freezing into an iceblock.

-Shayne

Montrails, and crampons

Puck said:
Shayne
How arethese with crampons? What type do you use.

Thanks

First of all, I hike with the same Montrail GTX 12 months a year. I plan on doing the same this winter. We do a lot of snowshoeing and as conditions dictate use crampons as well. I have charlet moser crampons and when adjusted properly, they work pretty well. I don't plan on changing anything this winter. Lance

Sorels too hot? Hard to say

I own a pair of two-year-old Sorel Conquests and I’m not a fan of them for cold-weather hikes. Though they’re rated to -40F, my feet get cold in them in temperatures much higher than that, especially if I stop for any amount of time. I think the Sorels are a little light on insulation between your foot and the snow. My feet do tend to run cold, but I’ve worn other similarly priced boots with more insulation (800-gram Thinsulate Field & Stream boots from Dick’s @ $115) and been comfortable on 3-day winter backpacks that included a lot of standing around in the evening. For me, the Sorels work well in milder temperatures. I use them for shoveling snow and the like. But I’ll never take them on an extended winter hike again.

My pref would be neither. This season and the Presis are why I prefer heavier leather boots with gaiters.

But, forced to choose between the 2 boots discussed, I would pick the Montrails, especially if they have a stiffer midsole/shank than the Sorels. You will spending a lot of time stepping on rocks, despite the snow. Down low, a foot or so isn't enough to really cover up those trails (Lowe's the worst, Amphibrach is better) rocks too much. Up high, you will get enough blowing to expose plenty of rock.

Gaiters, gaiters, gaiters.