Whiteface / Esther

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
JayH and myself visited Whiteface and Esther Mountains on this Spring-like day. Later in the day, we would not say this. We started from the Research Center parking area just past 8:30 am and ascended the Marble Mountain ski run. At the top of Marble Mountain, the trail joins with the Wilmington Trail (Red Blazes). I commented “now it gets flat to the start of the Esther herd path”. Oops - I forgot!

After another 1,400-foot elevation change, we reached the start of the herd path for Esther Mountain. The weather has been great, sun and some wind, but the visibility is now starting to drop as a wether pattern was coming in from the west. We headed off to Whiteface arriving at the summit around 12:05. We relaxed for about 30 minutes and a few rain drops could be felt. We changed into rain gear and started heading back down the trail. The rain continued to get heavier and would remain with us for the remainder of our hike, and through the night until the morning.

At 1:30 we left the trail for Esther. Jay went ahead as I lumbered behind. He waited at the summit until I arrived. We spend about 30 seconds together and turned around to head back to the trailhead. At the trailhead we changed into dry clothes and decided to try a new restaurant I heard about, The Wobbly Moose in Au Sable Forks. I will add it has good food and atmosphere!

Since the rains continued, the thought of sitting in a tent was not appealing. We went inside the Loj and relaxed for a couple of hours. While there, we became “accidental tourists” as the AMC was sponsoring a political meeting and they moved the meeting into the lounge room, where we were sitting. Within a minute, 30+ people surrounded us and started discussing political direction the AMC plans on taking with the new administration! I don’t know about Jay, but I wanted to leave. But it was interesting how they wanted to protect the environment, yet by their conversation nobody hiked beyond the boundaries of the Loj property. OK. Before I go off subject, I better stop or I might say something like it is taking 2+ years to rebuild a shower. So much for supporting hikers.

While I was there, I read an original account of bushwhacking the Seward Range in 1948. I found it very interesting because it follows exactly a route I want to do which comes off Emmons toward Cold River. I am more inspired now!

Welcome back Ed! Did you get any "secrets" from the meeting?? Knowing your opinion about some things, I'm surprised you didn't get THROWN out;). When HarryK and I did Whiteface, we lasted about three minutes on the summit...It was cold, icy, and the wind was whipping. We were soaked because it rained on us most of the way up! They had even closed the road up to the summit. Sounds like you and Jay had a much better day, for at least most of your hike...:)

Yeah, it wasn't too bad until about leaving Whiteface so we did the right thing and hiked to Whiteface summit before Esther to hopefully beat the impending storm. It got really dark when we were up there and I just put on my rain gear just in time! There is a bunch of snowdrift up towards the summit after you meet the Whiteface auto road but nothing to being snowshoes or crampons. We didn't carry any nor were they needed. Parts of the trail were a bit icy but the warm temps made a lot of the icesheets into ice floes that you had to be careful with breaking through.

It really felt like spring hiking, without the blackflies, we had snow, snow patchs, hard snow, soft snow, plenty of mud and puddles... even rain. Esther was pretty muddy, nobody ever talks about the Esther swamp, it's always Couchy but I felt there was a decent amt of bog between the little false summits on the way to the true summit...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555516977zzFmAe

Ed, wasn't that an ADK meeting, not an AMC. Neil Woodworth was there (I saw his name tag) and I also saw his name in the Adirondac magazine they have there as he seems to be an administrator...Isn't the "Adirondac" magazine published by the ADK group, not the AMC which publishes AMC-Outdoors. I am a member of neither as I'm just a poor hiker.

I was getting sleepy during the talk but didn't want to be rude and getup and leave... I'm not into politics either, but I didn't know that Pataki was somewhat of a hiker... and Eliot Spitzer's parents own a camp somewhere in the ADKs according to the folks there...

Jay

Jay

Jay, ADK versus AMC Probably a play on abbreviations. The ADK as it is commonly known is actually the "Adirondack Mountain Club" and has been known as AMC to some. I suspect they use ADK to differentiate from its larger cousin further East. It is my error in using the AMC abbreviation in my post.

Terri, I said nothing as I tried to a "fly on the wall". Even when they said they "Loved" Hillary???????? No one has ever explain what she has done outside of self-promotion. Oops here we go again - sorry.