Whiteface?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenG

Reaction score
I'm heading up, I believe it's called the Willmington trail from the Observatory on Friday or Saturday afternoon and I'd like to know the trail conditions. Also the auto road, how was it and how is it, before and after snow? And, how much snow, if any did they get in Willmington? We got about six inches at Glen Lake, Queensbury. Thanx, KenG :)

Adackr and I skied up the toll road last Saturday (March 19th). It was some of the best skiing I've ever experienced. The conditions were fantastic! A great base, and as the day warmed up the surface softened just enough to provide great control on the way down. If you've never skied up and down the toll road I highly recommend it! Happy skiing. It's coming to a close!

hey rico was that you we met last weekend at the end of the day while packing up???

did you ever make hurricane or is that this weekend?//

anyway, have a good one, sara and i plan on skiing flowed lands tomorrow....can't wait!!

Confused, you bet I'm amused!

I'm bringing skiis, snow shoes, poles, crampons and ice axe. Which of the afore mentioned items might I not need? :confused:

KenG - Leave the crampons and ice axe home.
ADackR - I don't recall meeting anyone while packing up, but yes, the plan was for Hurricane this weekend. Was it Doug (Storytime) you were talking to... 6'2", goat-tee, big tan pickup truck?

well, now i'm confused... if we didn't meet how did i know you were doing hurricane this weekend....maybe your goign with him

so yes, it was doug that we met and he did have his truck...

well, have a good weekend...

opps back to the question... just ski up the toll road....its a blast...

Hello KenG

Definitely second the advice given so far. Was up esther last weekend and found the trail and snow to be perfect for snow shoes. The crampons and ice axe will not get any use. Snowshoeing this week in the adk's has been superb. Have a blast.

I am considering going up Whiteface Saturday, not sure yet. If I go I am bringing my crampons. Ice ax is questionable although I use it Whiteface earlier this winter to get up the little ledge right above the auto road. It has been iced over pretty bad the 2 previous times I climbed Whiteface this year. I will also bring my snowshoes and poles for sure. In other words, a case can be made to bring them all. Do you NEED them, probably not. This past week there has been very little activity weather wise in the Champlain valley. No snow in over a week, with lower elevations thawing during the day and freezing at night. Any rain/snow in southern NY/New England did not make it up north. Snow pack is slowly diminishing in the valleyI have a had a clear view of Whiteface from my deck each morning this week, so I doubt any precip made it there either. The calm weather is predicted to last through the weekend.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/VTZ005.php