Who: hikes, climbs &or backpacks with a dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another book

Haven't seen it yet:
A new guidebook published this summer offers a great list of trails in the Adirondacks that are dog-friendly, along with good advice for taking your pet into the woods
Dog Hikes in the Adirondacks:
20 Trails to Enjoy with Your Best Friend
2009 | 64 pages, soft bound
North Country writers, photographers and their doggie hiking buddies share their favorite Adirondack trails. Find new treks or review familiar spots, from difficult to puppy - or old-dog easy.
hike.jpg

http://www.shaggydogpress.org/hikes.html

http://www.northcountrypublicradio....a-new-book-looks-at-dogs-on-adirondack-trails

hiking with dogs

I have a little experience hiking and skiing with a few breeds. My impression is that heredity plays a big role. Herding breeds and sight-driven hunting dogs like to run up and down the trail, and around the trail, but are generally mindful, and can be allowed off-leash in appropriate areas. Scent-driven breeds, such as beagles and other hounds, are pretty much oblivious to anything else once they are on an interesting scent, and other than for hunting, probably cannot be trusted off the leash. I've done some work at training with a whistle and pepperoni rewards, and they do respond if they hear the whistle, but once they are off on a scent they tend not to look back.

A few weeks ago, I climbed the trailless Dixes with three dogs, and we tried out three different styles of doggie backpack. We found that the compression straps on the pack bags tend to snag on roots and branches, and since we don't anticipate much use for them, they could be cut off. The attachment points on the packs work OK with a leash when the dog is pulling, but a forward pull on the pack may pull it off the dog. A carabiner connecting the pack and collar or harness makes for a more secure connection. Balancing the weight in the two pack bags is the key to them riding well, and not flipping around.