Wildcats from 19 Mile Brook Trail, 6/20/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Trails: 19 Mile Brook, Wildcat Ridge, Pole Cat, & road walk (about 3 miles)
Around 12 miles round-trip.

Conditions: All trails in good shape. A few big blowdowns in the first mile of 19 Mile Brook; but do not impede progress. Wildcat Ridge Trail could use some minor brushing out in places. Bit of mud; not bad. Cold weather the night before and a breeze at elevation kept the bug activity to a minimum.

Although the weather was gorgeous, it was a non-holiday Monday, and I encountered only a few other hikers all day. No one at the observation platform on Wildcat D, despite the fact that the gondola was running.

Equipment: Poles helpful on the steeps. Just don't be an idiot and leave them at the observation platform and have to hike back up to get them from part way down the Pole Cat. :eek: :eek:

Comments: I shortened the walk along Rte. 16 back to 19 Mile Brook Trail parking a bit by using a ski area service road. Still, it was an unpleasant end to an otherwise lovely day. The lefthand (western) shoulder was too narrow for part of the way, so we had to use the right side. I worried about the dogs injuring their paws on the broken glass (lots). I kind of wish I had parked at Wildcat (no charge) and gotten the road walk out of the way in the morning. If you can do a car plant or have no dogs and can use a bicycle, it would be better.

Photos from this hike can be seen at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32876400@N08/sets/72157626889773063/

NH48: Elizabeth 48/48; Gracie 44/48; Salty 44/48

Last edited: