Wildcats on Saturday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
Started out at Pinkham to avoid any high water crossing on the Ellis River. Alaska doesnt like fast moving water. Turned out to be unnecessary, but it adds a gentle warm up to the steepness of the main trail. Trails are much drier than I expected after the recent rain and in great shape. Excellent view points at several outlooks on the way up breaks up the intensity of the climb. Did I mention it is steep? Alaska did a great job but a less experienced dog might have issues. Met a couple of through hikers on the trail. One had started March 1st the other started March 7th. Good luck to them. They looked like they had it figured out. Not many on this one today, I think we saw 6 people all day. Pinkham had cars as far as the eye could see. Amazing how many cars were there. Everyone must have been on Washington. Another great day in the woods.

I just did my trip report... I wonder if I saw you?

I saw those same thru-hikers. Talked extensively with the guy who started 3/7. Forgot to mention we talked very briefly with the guy who started 3/1 too!

I was also glad to see the trail dry up WRT initially.

I think we did meet you guys. We were doing an out and back. We crossed paths when we were headed back and you guys were heading towards A Peak. If I remember right you said you had Cabot left?

Yep, oh yeah I remember you guys!

How was it going down from E Peak after the out and back? We had a car spot to go out NMBT, but originally was going to do that O&B. I know I would have been hurting a bit more had we done that since by the time we hit A Peak, I did not want to ascend anymore and was glad I was done with the Ups.

In a word, steep! I hate to admit it but I was worn out by the time we got back to Pinkham.

I bet! I was worn out by the time I got down to the Nineteen Mile Brook lot. And that was without having to climb back up and down all those peaks. Kudos to you as that out and back is def not easy. I think the out and back option added an additional 1,000 feet of elevation gain? I would have had a real tough time going down that final steep part after all that!

Now I see why people stay at the hut and break that hike into a couple days.