Willey Range Loop 7-6-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
A little late, but better than never. :)

Plan A was Jefferson but a confusing and less than perfect forecast made me go to my back up plan, Willey, Field, and Tom. I arrived at the Willey House Station Rd at about 5:20 and had boots on trail at 5:35. Not first light, but a record for me. There were cars parked intermittently at the top and bottom as well as along the road. Evidence of a full lot the day before.

We headed up the Ethan Pond Tr then on to the Willer Range Tr. By 6:45 I was huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat as we climbed the ladders. Marlie made it look easy and kept looking back to see what was taking me so long.

20130707_5.JPG

By 7:20 we were on the summit of Mt Willey enjoying the overcast and cool air. After a short break and checking out the views we headed towards Mt Field. Just south of the col there were numerous blowdowns that have been removed. Great job by the trail crew.

20130707_17.JPG

There was, however, a short relocated section that was obscured by a fallen log. I thought I was supposed to stay on the "trail" and began moving another tree and branches to the "herd path" then realized after finding a cut end that it was intentionally brushed in. :oops: I then put the brush back and moved the log.

At 8:10 were were on the summit of Field but the cloudes were low and there were no views so we took a quick break and continued on. Approaching the A-Z Tr I knew that there had been pine marten sightings and I was really hoping to finally see one but knew that that would be about impossible with Marlie with me. We turned right, then left, and ascended the Mt Tom Spur to the summit of Mt Tom. We the took the nonsummit spur at the split and too a break at the dilapidated bench. It was now 8:55 and we still had not seen another person. :D

We then headed back to the A-Z Tr and headed west where we would meet our first person at 9:40. It had been a few years since I was last on this section of trail. I noticed many new bog bridges and it was much easier to follow than before. I also noticed how overgrown the old snowmobile trail has become. Nearing the Zealand Tr I saw the muddy bottom of Zealand Pond. I am thinking that this was done intentionally and not by nature. Does anyone know what actually happened? We turned left at the Zealand Tr and followed it to the northern end of the Ethan Pond Tr.

We then headed through one of my favorite spots in the White Mtns along the base of Whitewall Mtn.

20130707_45.JPG

After reading krpayer's TR I had thought of climbing the slide to the top, then 'whacking south to the Ethan Pond/Thoreau Falls junction. (Further recon looked like the whack would be quite wet just before reaching the Ethan pond Tr. Has anyone gone this way before?) However it was starting to sprinkle and I told my wife I'd be home at a respectable time so I passed. Maybe next time. Upon reaching the Thoreau Falls Tr I took the .1 mi side trip to the falls. This would be my first time and I can't believe I passed by it twice before. It was now 11:30.

20130707_48.JPG

We then went back to the Ethan Pond Tr and made our way to the Ethan Pond Campsite, stopping for water under the bridge along the way. We poked around the campsite for a bit and talked to a thru hiker and two others that were fishing before departing and heading back to the parking lot, finishing up at 1:45. What an excellent day on the trails! This is one of my favorite loops.

Ethan Pond
20130707_57.JPG

The rest of the pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/1175...581678131843187857/albums/5897859507116051569

NETC: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=13278

... Nearing the Zealand Tr I saw the muddy bottom of Zealand Pond. I am thinking that this was done intentionally and not by nature. Does anyone know what actually happened?

A rainstorm washed out the beaver pond in late May, 2013.