Winter - Enjoy what is left of it

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was saying to a friend on a hike the other day that if there isn't going to be any more snow, we may as well just move onto spring and be done with it. Bring back the color.

I'm fine with an early spring as I still have a lot of field work left to do for the next southern NH guide.

We hiked Blueberry Mountain in Glencliff yesterday. The snow was very thin below 2000 ft. I am not sure what will be left after this warm rain. The snow on the ledges was also thin and melting rapidly. Streams of water were flowing under the ice.

I should have paid more attention to the forecast, as the past 24 hours dashed any optimism. Snow-burning conditions last night with wind and warm rain flipped things. My driveway here in Bethlehem tilts to the west-northwest so sees little sun influence. Been able to maintain a smooth ice-road layer with frequent light snowfalls keeping a grippy layer on the ice even through many of the recent ups and downs and rains to snow. Ice down to a thin layer and mud coming through this morning.
When I was out on the trails at Bretton Woods on Saturday, I had been pondering what a big snowfall might do for the trails. I thought it would be a great addition to shape up any currently open and maintained trails but would do nothing to cause the ski area to want to open up any more trails at this point. Better luck next year.

I/2" of snow and quick freeze Wednesday night but my somewhat shaded wood pile lost 10" of snow prior to the quick freeze. The snow that is left in Gorham will be "styrofoam" after the cold day today but expect it will be back to melting by tomorrow. Gray Knob reported 22" yesterday before the front came through. WMUR reported the state is posting roads (about two to three weeks early.

I/2" of snow and quick freeze Wednesday night but my somewhat shaded wood pile lost 10" of snow prior to the quick freeze. The snow that is left in Gorham will be "styrofoam" after the cold day today but expect it will be back to melting by tomorrow. Gray Knob reported 22" yesterday before the front came through. WMUR reported the state is posting roads (about two to three weeks early.

Quite a difference in the Sierra - "A rare warning for “life-threatening blizzard conditions” is in effect for the mountains of the Sierra Nevada, including Lake Tahoe. The storm could bring at least three feet of snow, starting today."

Its pretty standard, if the west is snowy the east is not.
This morning's weather said Yosemite was closing because they were forecasting 6-10 feet of snow. That's a big storm no matter where you are.

Trail report from RMC FB Page:
Trail report as of March 1st.
Warmer weather is expected this weekend—be prepared for rough stream crossings and lots of postholing. Make sure to bring snowshoes to protect what you can of our snowpack!
Above treeline there is a mix of hard snowpack, bare rock, and glare ice, particularly on the north facing trails. Rocks will continue to be exposed over the weekend with the warming temperatures. Traction may be necessary.
As of this morning, Gray Knob has 23 inches of snow at the stake.
Below treeline, the snowpack remains, though it becomes very shallow and pretty much nonexistent at trailheads. There is some fresh snow on top, but it will most likely not last through the warm weekend. Use snowshoes to prevent postholing.
Please note that trail conditions can change very quickly in the Northern Presidentials. The conditions posted on this page may have changed since they were recorded. Always check local forecasts before you leave the trailhead, and be sure to check out the higher summits forecast on the @mwobs webpage.

This morning's weather said Yosemite was closing because they were forecasting 6-10 feet of snow. That's a big storm no matter where you are.
I drove once during a intense storm like this one. The state police for that storm required 4 wheel drive with winter tires, plus chains.

Last edited:
Well the logging road out to Boundary Bald Mountain is gated now, so instead of driving 4.5 miles to the trailhead to snowshoe I guess I’ll park by the gate and just hike on the road until I feel like turning around. Looks like a good time to heat-mold a new pair of insoles for my Lowas.