Winter survival supplies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
I am upgrading my emergency kit after reading *Deep Survival* by Gonzales. I have added a chemical fire starter, tinder and a small metal cup to obtain water and am now trying to lower the weight of the kit. I carry a posi-drive screwdriver for the #3 posi-drive bit to tighten ski bindings. The ratchet in this thing is nice but heavy. Has anyone seen a light plastic handle made to accept this bit? How about plastic handled knife, or plastic handled vice grip?

Opinel (sp?) makes a very simple lock blade folding knife available in a variety of sizes. Likely the lightest lock blade you will find. High carbon steel so it holds a good edge but needs between trip attention as it is not stainless. I've been told they are getting harder to get in the states as they are French made.

In winter I'll adjunct my usual kit with a pair of folding mini pliers and some wire for snow shoe repair.

Also I don't use the Opinel knife in the winter as I find it difficult to open with gloves on.

Try the leatherman juce c4 or something lile that,it has a spade type philips which will do #3,s pliers for everything,and its very light.MSR and others make a ti cup I use mine to boil water and eat from when going light.

Yardsale, I've had some success in the field with a Leatherman's pliers, a short #3 Pozi bit, and a quarter. Use the quarter like a thimble to press the Pozi bit down into the screw; use the pliers to rotate the bit.

I actually installed four screws on my Hammerheads with this setup -- my driver wouldn't fit through the toepiece.

Just don't lose the Pozi bit. It's tiny.