Winter Variation of Bob Marshall's 14 Peak Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck Tim as I'm sure you'll attempt it sometime in the near future. As a fellow speed demon (from what I've been told although I don't consider myself much of a speed demon) I'd love to hike with you sometime. I don't think I'd be able to keep up with you on something like this though as my endurance level currently seems to be tuned to the tune of comfortably doing 20mi hikes but 30mi would be a bit outside that range and I wouldn't want to hold you up!

Now all this talk of a 14 peak day has sucked me in and I'm sure my body will regret it but I'm finding myself thinking more and more of doing such a hike this winter. The great range in a day sounded fun but a 14 peak day would be even better! The real trick is finding a quick way down from Colden. Being able to come down the slide on the Eastern side of Colden would be the fastest but I'm not sure what that would be like in the winter. Anyone ever been up or down it in the winter?

As far as beta or advice by way of the adirondacks as I hike there quite often. I'd wait until late Feb early March as by that time the trails have been well traveled and with some freeze thaw cycles there can be a nice crust. Last year I did a dayhike from Upper Works to Algonquin/Iroqouis and back and was able to practically run down the trail due to these very conditions. Definately ideal conditions for a speedy hike.

Marshall's 14-peak hike (all but one > 4,000 feet) set a record for elevation gain in the Adirondacks, but it did not last long. Herbert Malcolm broke it more than once. He once climbed 25,000+ feet in a day, ending by going up and down Noonmark two or three times. Malcolm also set records in the Whites.