Wolfjaws via slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
PHOTOS

UPPER-LOWER WOLFJAWS
1-28-12
WINTER

As I have read many trip reports about the Slides on the wolf jaws I thought this to be a fun one as I enjoyed the slide up Dix last year for my finish. This slide would prove to be much different than hard snow pack, Ice, lots of it.

Left for Placid Friday night, it took 6 hours in my car with POS tires which are great on pavement only. Jim46r, adirobdack46r and myself. Made Camp for the Night for a Late, 7am start. Much to my surprise seeing two tents in the parking area of the Garden set up in the parking spots, a first for me. Spotted adkjacks car somehow, maybe it was the plates,  , signed in for the warming hut I think.

The late morning start was a relief of the pre 6am starts most days begin with. I figured 8-9 hours at the most to hit the slide and bag both peaks which turned into 11 hours, but it was so worth it. Some confusion talking over the slide, I was planning the LWJ slide that is new which was told starts just past the ranger bridge but Jim said that one crossed back over and headed to upper, so I took his slide in which we climbed. It almost wiped out the Lwj lean-to where it crosses the trail. We had made good time in crossing the JBL bridge and up the range trail cutting over to the lean-to where we would begin this slide attempt.

Microspikes for me and crampon for the others to here where I switched over to. Dropped the snowshoes and pole for crampons and Ice axe. The devastation is vast and unbelievable. Wandering up thru this mess thru busted trees and ice we finally came to where it mostly was all Ice. Great care was taken from here on out until we exit into trees above. It was just beautiful, exciting and dangerous in one. Lots of photos and turn around views of Bigslide, the Brothers and soon Colden, Algonquin , Marcy, north side of Gothics all came into views. The weather was perfect and miles of views to be seen in such Mild temps for this date. Jim with more experience would break Ice trail and navigate us up and thru this wonderful ice sculpture of Nature. Finally sitting on top of the slide looked back just gave me chills of excitement, amazing trip.

After exiting the slide to which we thought would take us close to the summit of UWJ , which it didn’t gave us an energy draining bushwhack to Upper. On this false summit we could catch views not seen from summit of Upper without getting back into the trees. Wasn’t too thick but was the snow in crampons that was hard part. Finally summiting opened to some winds we had not felt on the slide. Quick pics and a Hoot, we where off to LWJ. Trail barely snow covered, hard packed Ice so crampons worked well the rest of the day.

Quick decent to the Col Robert who was not feeling well and stuck with us on the slide made his way back to the car alone, Jim and I would summit the final peak of the day, running into many people coming down and one group on top where a forum member, Doug V., asked me if I was Viewseeker. He was out with some younger lads doing the Great Range and would head toward Rooster Comb. We where leaving and noticed a set of poles thinking they would be Dougs or would they , started to pack them out and Doug returned all outta breathe to claim them, back down the Col we headed which took no time. Day was getting late now and we just trekked back and picked up my stash and beatfeet it for the Garden. The last half hour id follow Jim which had a headlamp, id forgotten to stuff mine back in my bag from morning use. The snow reflected enough light I really didn’t need one, it was real peaceful in the darkness.

We arrived in the lot and Robert was just getting there, he took a wrong turn and had a slight detour, a perfect ending to a near perfect day. Thanks Jim and Robert for sharing this EPIC slide and being there for #43W & #44W. I’m getting those chills I got last year upon getting close to finishing my Regular round, emotional fun day !!!

:D
If you took the slide by the lean-to it must have been a long bushwhack at the top, as the slide which gets one near the summit of UWJ from the WolfJaw Brook Trail starts about .5-mile above the lean-to and sopped short of crossing the trail last August?

yes thats the one, it now starts at the bottom of Johns Brook, or least the destruction does. it was a long bushwhack, things trip reports are made of lol :D I just read its called wolfjaw Brook slide i think

Very Kool Trip Report! Congrats on a good effort. Anyone have any recent info on the Bennies Brook Slide?

How about climbing Big Slide from South Meadows Brook? Pretty cool route for a 46er finish.
Did the original 46ers have trails to the mountaintops? Did they get chased by packs of coyotes doped with Wolfen DNA?

Times certainly do change don't they?

I saw and even chatted with a Neanderthal on West Bond last year but decided to keep it mum. My kids better not have any Neanderthal DNA in them or there'll be hell to pay. (Thread drift? How about post drift?)

Last edited:
How about climbing Big Slide from South Meadows Brook? Pretty cool route for a 46er finish.
Did the original 46ers have trails to the mountaintops? Did they get chased by packs of coyotes doped with Wolfen DNA?

Times certainly do change don't they?

I saw and even chatted with a Neanderthal on West Bond last year but decided to keep it mum. My kids better not have any Neanderthal DNA in them or there'll be hell to pay. (Thread drift? How about post drift?)

sure now that would be challenging... u willing to guide me????

It would be nice if all the new slides had names that everyone agreed on. As I understand your report, You went up the new south-east slide to UWJ? which is the one that branches off the slide that comes down from the North-east side of LWJ the one that ends in that dip on the south side trail closest to the bridge near the ranger station? The NEW Bennies brook slide, which I saw somewhere was being named Bennies Route Canal!? (Love that name) joins the OLD Bennies Brook slide and together they now go all the way down to Johns Brook. Sorry if that is even more confusing. :eek:
Congrats again!

It would be nice if all the new slides had names that everyone agreed on. As I understand your report, You went up the new south-east slide to UWJ? which is the one that branches off the slide that comes down from the North-east side of LWJ the one that ends in that dip on the south side trail closest to the bridge near the ranger station? The NEW Bennies brook slide, which I saw somewhere was being named Bennies Route Canal!? (Love that name) joins the OLD Bennies Brook slide and together they now go all the way down to Johns Brook. Sorry if that is even more confusing. :eek:
Congrats again!

Pure evil you are phil....;)