Wright>Algonquin>Iroquois>Marshall>Colden 9/9, Big Slide>Porter>Cascade 9/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
Wright>Algonquin>Iroquois>Marshall>Colden 9/9, Big Slide>Porter>Cascade 9/10

After a few weeks away from the Daks it was time to get hiking. I had planned a backpack trip, but last minute hiking partner arrangements changed to two dayhikes and leaving the backpack for another weekend. Gail was joining me for a Sunday hike so I had to regroup for daytrips.

I departed from the Adk Loj at 7:00. Within about 5 min I came across two hikers who looked familiar. It was Craig and Carl who we had met a few weeks earlier on a hike to the Santanoni's. We spoke for a few minutes and revealed our plans for the day. They were going the same way I was, but planned a bushwack from Iroquios over to Marshall. We said our goodbyes and I moved on. I moved on at a pretty steady pace on up to Wright. As I broke out on to the open rock the wind and the gusts at times made it hard to stand up. I caught some views, but the clouds were blowing in fast. I took my pictures and continued on to Algonquin.

As I dropped down into the trees the wind disappeared until the ascent to Algonquin. I stopped to put on some gear before getting up to high. The higher I climbed the stronger the wind blew. By the time I had reached the summit the clouds had overtaken the peak. There was only an occasional glimpse of a view for which I was really looking forward to.

I continued on to Iroquois with much of the same high wind and cloud conditions. I reached the summit, took a picture and sighted some cairns in the direction of Marshall. I dropped down a bit to get out of the wind and decided to wait for Craig and Carl to join up for the bushwack down to Coldbrook Pass and then up to Marshall rather than dropping down to Lake Colden. As Craig and Carl came up, they said "we thought we would find you up here". We discussed the plan and then there were three. I said it is always more fun getting lost with company. With all three of us taking the lead at different times we made what we all considered a flawless bushwack with only minor scrapes, bruises and minimal blood loss. We had a quick lunch once we made it to the pass. Then we continued to the cairn which led us up to the summit of Marshall. Just as we got to the summit the rain began. We took a quick picture and parted ways. It was a real pleasure hiking this portion with you guys. Craig and Carl went back down to the pass and I went down Herbert Brook. The rain picked up and there was thunder in the distance, so I wasn't sure if I would be attempting Colden. By the time I was down to Lake Colden the thunder had vanished and the rain had let up to an intermitent drizzle. As I was walking along the lake and came to the trailhead to Colden, I decide, what the hell. It's sort of on the way back and only another 2000 ft., it would be foolish not to go up it. Right? Well, for peak #5 of the day it was a hell of a climb. Once again there I was with my head in the clouds. On the summit I found Ann looking for the top. She came up from the Lake Arnold side. We both touched the top and she turned and went from where she came. I took a quick break and also proceeded down the Lake Arnold side. After a short time I caught up to Ann and we walked out together back to the Loj. We came out at 7:15. Wet and tired, we decided to not miss out on the Irish folk singers who were performing at the Loj that night. So we took in the show and parted ways. It was a pleasure hiking down with Ann. Conversation made for a shorter trip. And that was day 1.

Day 2. I was up by 5:00, packed up my hammock, and on my way to the Noonmark Diner to meet Gail for Sunday's hike. I was waiting for the doors to open at 6:00 since I skipped supper for the show at the Loj. Gail arrive right on time at 6:30, had some breakfast and we were off to the Garden. By 7:30 we were on our way over the Brothers and on up to Big Slide. It was an amazing picture perfect morning. The valleys were filled with puffy clouds and the peaks were playing hide and seek as the clouds were lifting. We summited quickly and took about 1/2 hr on top to take in the awsome views. We needed to move on though since we had Porter and Cascade planned next. We relocated to the Cascade Lakes trailhead as started up. About a mile up the trail I saw a familiar face coming down. YES, that is Matt with his Dad coming down off of Cascade finishing his 46. We talked a bit and then continued on. CONGRATULATIONS Matt, and a pleasure meeting your dad.

Gail and I made it to the trail Jct and decided to grab Porter first. The views and weather conditions were as good as it gets. A quick break and off to Cascade. Once again, awsome views. The summit was filled with many people taking in the beautiful day. The day turned out to be more trail running than hiking, but we spent a lot of time on the summits taking in the views. We were back down and on our way home by 4:00. Another great day of hiking with a great partner.

George
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554047322oZGdsV

Glad to hear the rest of your trip went alright on Saturday. I actually am the one who snapped that picture of you guys on the summit of Marshall.

Zer0-G said:
Good Going George!

What's that, 7 to go?
When are you finishing up?

Ronnie
Hey Ronnie,
Yes, 7 left. I hope to be able to backpack in this weekend to finish up.
George

Doodles said:
Hey Ronnie,
Yes, 7 left. I hope to be able to backpack in this weekend to finish up.
George

Excellent!
Aren't you going to finish the AT soon as well?

percious said:
Nice report. Were these all first-time peaks for you?

-percious
Yes. This is the first time thru. I was hoping for a better day over Algonquin and Colden. I guess I will have to go back on a day like Sunday. I like to see the Daks from all the different peaks.
George

Zer0-G said:
Excellent!
Aren't you going to finish the AT soon as well?
Going down a week from today for a section. Hot Springs to Fontana Dam. 107 miles. I will be out of vacation time after that. That will leave me with about 160 miles left to hike. One more trip next spring.

Doodles said:
Yes. This is the first time thru. I was hoping for a better day over Algonquin and Colden. I guess I will have to go back on a day like Sunday. I like to see the Daks from all the different peaks.
George

Too bad about the rain. I know how you like your views.
When I did Colden the view was crystal clear.
For some reason, perhaps the time of day, the lighting, the mood, it was my favorite peak.

You must go back to catch it on a better day. :)