Wright Slide - got it wrong

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Reaction score
This week I tried to climb the Wright slide but went the wrong way. We tried several approaches but couldnt find the brook. It is supposed to come down from Wright on the right but we just couldnt get it right and it all went wrong so we left it alone and went right up Algonquin instead. The right choice under the circumstances since to go up Wright would have felt wrong.

The map indicates that the brook runs down about half a mileup from Marcy Dam but try as we could it eluded us. We had a great day anyway but next time I will return with more knowledge - please help if you have done this and can tell me the right the way.

I did it last fall. Hike from marcy dam towards avalanche pass until you come to the koegal lean-to. We crossed there and headed along remnants of an old tote road(at times). We ended up in some thick woods, and got to the point where we were not sure we would find it. We ended up right at the base of the slide. It is a great hike. Parts of the wrecked plane are out on the slide, and it goes almost to the summit. The last few feet to the top is a bit thick with trees. If you go on to Algonquin, it's great to look over at what you just hiked up. If you can find a post on here from Neil, he has pictures and a complete trip report on his website.

Last edited:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3795

Sounds like you missed the brook right from the start. It drains into Marcy brook just N. of the Kagel shelter. We walked past the Kagel by mistake and crossed Marcy brk. at the next LT south then followed Marcy brk to where Wright brook flowed in. Ascend the brook on the left and watch for the trib. that enters from the left. You will spend most of your time in the brook though.

Thanks Neil,
That makes sense. We tried South of the Kagel. Next time!
We woud have searched more but we were on a day trip from Montreal and had limited time.
I believe you hiked with my buddy Prino over the weekend

Thanks again for the info

Any buddy of Prino's is a buddy of mine.
I had noticed you're from Hudson.
Another bushwhacker, eh? I'm sure we'll whack through the underbrush together in the near future.