Your thoughts on boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeninVA

Reaction score
I am considering replacing my old friends. They are currently an all leather non-goretex boot. I waterproofed them over the years and really did not have a problem with get wet.

My question is, aside from the waterproofing in the goretex or other waterproofing membrane are there any specific advantages? Disadvantages? I guess I am more interested in the disadvantage piece. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks!

my thoughts...

Mr. Ben,

I have found a wonderful combo of seam-sealer and mink oil - mink oil to keep the leather from getting too hard and the seam sealer to help keep the seams from splitting.

Seems to me that gore-tex and leather don't mix too well - gore-tex being breathable and leather being not so breathable...

Also - walking on your hands helps keep those boots looking like new!!

I know about the gore-tex breathability issues. You will have to let me know about your waterproofing combo. I found this great stuff at LL Bean and waterproofs my boots nicely. My old friends are falling apart. I am currently leaning inthe non-goretex direction. I actually gave up walking on my hands when I mastered my Jedi levitation skills. Now, as in the tradition of master Yoda I float around. Float to the summit I will. :D

I had leather boots without gore-tex for years, and never had a problem with wet feet. I used sno-seal regularly and it seemed to work great. Now I have a pair of boots with gore-tex, and they work fine also. I'm not sure that the breathability of gore-tex is any real advantage in boots - if anything it simply adds another layer. It doesn't release any significant amount of water vapor IMHO. Likewise I don't think it's a real disadvantage. One drawback is that I'm more lax in treating my boots because I don't feel any urgency - that will probably result in marginally quicker degradation of the leather.
For me, if I had a choice of identical boots with or without gore-tex it would come down to the price difference. I wouldn't pay a lot more for the gore-tex.

I appreciate your thoughts and boot experience. I was pretty concerned about if there was truly a difference. I sweat like there is no tomorrow and I did not want squishy boots. I did not even think about gore-tex and easing off the leather treatment. Good thing to keep in mind. Price - that is always the bottom line. Thanks!

I agree with lumberzac. If you sweat, you'll sweat in either one.

Personally, my favorite boots were all-leather Salomons that I had before my current pair of goretex boots. With the leather boots, I never had a problem with water because I kept them waterproofed when needed, which I actually enjoyed doing a couple days before a hike. With the goretex ones, there are so many different views on whether or when you should apply some kind of outer waterproofing spray after a few months, that I'm not exactly sure how to maintain them. If I could, I'd go back to the all leather Salomons I previously had if they were available.

My biggest concern with my new boots is that I don't like the traction I get with my new Sportivas, especially when I'm walking up or down rocks.

Regardless of whether you get leather boots with gore-tex or not a good dose of snow-seal or mink oil once in a while is a good idea. I'm on the second generation of EMS boots with gore-tex, no complaints with sweat or leakage but the soles are not the best for gripping.

I know I will sweat regardless, I just was not sure whether it would trap it all in making the issue worse or not. My current boots are all leather Salomons that I have waterproofed over the years and have served me well. Thanks for your input.

Boots?

I wear an rei boot made by rachle /w goertex, great breathability. I have feet issues also and havent noticed a probleme yet. I just go a little liter on my waterproofing, and do it more often.
rei spirit 2 $185 in 2003

I too am on the second generation EMS Summit GTXs. (they have gore-tex) I love-em.

I had non-goretex boots before. The waterproofing only lasted a day or two at the most of muddy terrain. Not true with the goretex. Furthermore, if you sweat alot, the goretex gives a place for your sweat to go, instead of having really clammy boots. I wouldn't hike in anything less.

-pericous

Last edited:
I too am on the second generation EMS Summit GTXs

Percious, have you had any problems with the soles on these? I've used my boots 7 or 8 times now and have been slipping worse than the previous pair. Last weekend on the mud-root-moss rock infested Lost Pond trail I had troubles as expected with most any boot, but I've also had issues on dry ledge before also.

I have Beans Cresta Hikers with Goretex, and while I understand the issues stated previously, my feet don't seem to get hot and clammy. Maybe the Smartwool socks wick the moisture out, but my feet with the Goretex/full leather boots have been great.

I mostly wear Merrill dayhikers (leather and fabric) which also have Goretex, and my feet are fine in these as well. I wear the dayhikers mostly because of their lighter weight.

Three things I noticed about generation 2.

The tread appears to be wearing down more quickly than my first pair.

The glue holding the sole on appears to be separating after just a few hundred miles.

I seem to get blisters on my heels from these boots. This could be because im putting miles on more quickly though. 14 mile hikes in 6 1/2 hours.

I use my boots for all hiking activities. I twist my ankles all the time when im out there, and the boots keep it from being severe. I also have my son on my back alot (an extra 30+lbs) so the added foot support is good. I have small feet, so it makes for light boots. All that, plus I cant find any other boots that wont give me terrible blisters on my pointy heels.

-percious

slippery soles

Jim lombard said:

I've used my boots 7 or 8 times now and have been slipping worse than the previous pair. Last weekend on the mud-root-moss rock infested Lost Pond trail I had troubles as expected with most any boot, but I've also had issues on dry ledge before also.
Same for me, Jim. Since I bought my new pair of goretex boots, I've noticed a big decline in traction, even going uphill on dry ledge as well as down. They've slipped out on me in places where I've never slipped before, and a couple weeks ago I landed on my arm in a not so good way on a slab of rock. Ouch.

I don't really think it's anything to do with my new boots being goretex, but more to do with manufacturers making these Vibram soles so hard that they last longer but don't grip as well. I'm seriously thinking to looking for a new pair of boots with softer, better gripping tread. Even if the tread wears down more quickly than the Vibram, it'll be a small price to pay if it prevents unexpected wipeouts on moderately sloping rock.

Anyone else having any trouble with some of these new Vibram soles when walking on rock? I'm sure some are designed much better for traction than others.