zealand..almost

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
this day had its highs and lows. had stomach cramps till 4 am and managed to sleep 2 hours. My friend Chris drove up from mass, and we met climbingbassist and nhmtnhiker and parked at seven dwarfs. -5 in parking lot, blue skies. We headed out at 8:30 on the snowmobile trail to the Haystack Road, and took the north twin trail. this was all broken out for us already. my head and stomach were not happy at all, but the cold air seems to make it tolerable. Seemed like things were in our favor so far but this problem i hadnt had in years came back. my socks started sliding down my feet to my toes, leaving my bare feet in the sorels. i stopped about 40 times to unlace them, pull them back up, and lace thm again. i tried going with different socks, no go, finally after suffering thru a couple hours of this and holding everyone up, I used 1 sock and 1 sock at least didnt bunch up on my toes so much, though my ankles and heel were turning into hamburger. We left the north twin trail at the 3rd crossing, and headed STRAIGHT UP the little river itself! it was a perfect trail, bout 30 feet wide, with about 8 inches of powder to break. it was amazingly convenient and WAY faster than the woods would have been. There were some spots where you had to be careful where the ice underneath looked like you could break thru it, made quite an adventurous walk. Finally Chris went thru the snow into knee deep water. We banged the ice off her now 20 lb snowshoes and headed up into the reputed 'open woods' to the left. We had been going 4 hours and were at about 3000 feet. Things must have grown up in there some, we spend maybe a half hour floundering around looking for an open way to go, falling into some spruce traps here and there. We started heading up, it got less thick, we could do pretty well, but in a zig zag route. There was about 8 inches on a nice crust...real good conditions considering we could have been breaking trail thru a couple feet of powder. Chris twisted her left knee and we stopped for a break at a point where the woods were getting thick again. We were 4 hours and 45 minutes into it...about 3450 feet according to altimeter. Best case scenario on my part was that in about 40 minutes we could get to the col at 4000 feet, hit the AT, and get up to summit in about 20 minutes. Bob(nhmtnhiker) looked up at the thick scrub and guessed about 2 hours to the top. We decided it was not worth it to continue up with someone who was in a lot of pain with her knee, and I didn't think it was a good idea to risk going down the frozen river in after dark. We had gone about 6 miles I think, and were doing quite well, considering I spend half the day adjusting my boots and feeling like I was going to yak. I think the river route was a gift, if it hadn't been doable we would have spent a lot more time. It was frustrating to not make the summit under such relatively decent conditions, but the mountain will still be there. We had nice views of South Twin thru the trees, and it was gorgeous in the sun going up and seeing the valley draw us in. It was actually a great hike in gorgeous territory, and amazing to blast up the frozen river, though a bit risky in places.

Last edited:
Sheesh

I definitely am not a bushwacker.

It sounds like you had quite an adventure. Congratulations on a great effort.

Call me Mr Cautious... but I'd want to see a truck drive up a river before I'd walk it!

Glad you all got out safely.

Bob

Maybe not a summit, maybe some hardships, but it still sounds like it was a great trip to have done. And now you know for next time where to go ... and where not to!

Hope you had a nice glass of scotch when you got home hikerfast, it sure sounds like it was a good day for it! It sounds like it was a great day, and I'm sure you'll reach the summit next time.

- Ivy

boots

arm, did you wear your cross country ski boots on your snowshoes, or did you carry other boots to change into?

Quite an adventure, Bob. Not too many people get up there any season.

hikerfast said:
We decided it was not worth it to continue up with someone who was in a lot of pain with her knee, and I didn't think it was a good idea to risk going down the frozen river in after dark. ... I think the river route was a gift, if it hadn't been doable we would have spent a lot more time.
I fell thru the ice on Little River both times I used this route, one reason I didn't recommend it as a solo hike. Fortunately didn't get wet either time. The old RR grade can be used for awhile after the N Twin trail leaves, but may be getting grown up.

Once was in March and we were back at the car before dark. The other time was in December and some of us also climbed Guyot, we had supper about dusk at an old logging clearing at maybe 3500' on the way out.