zealand this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
zealand this weekend-lets try again for saturday 2-19

anyone interested in bagging zealand in a day?

Last edited:
what's zealand like? i'm new to this. would i need any special equipment? i've got the basics for winter hiking (axe, crampons, etc) but is there anything else that you can think of?

luke

If you go in from the Zealand notch side, be sure to hit the Zeacliff lookout. It's only a moment off the trail, marked, and spectacular.

Have extra spot at Zealand this Saturday night

One of my trip partners bailed and won't be joining us on our overnight at Zealand Saturday night. With snow heading towards the Whites, I figured someone from VFTT might be interested in the spot. 1st person to agree to $20 gets it. I've already paid AMC and will donate your money to AMC too. You're welcome to join us A-Z trail, stopping to bag Tom, then to Hut, drop gear and hit Hale. Pace will be fairly fast and we'll leave highland center between 9:00-9:30 on Saturday. No pressure to join-- there are plenty of great ways to approach Zealand with the fresh snow.

zealand bushwack

What day? What kind of gear would I need? Ski in to trailhead? Guess we need to see what this storm leaves us...

looks like they got at least a foot and a half of snow up there, and maybe more higher up. This is going to be a long slow slog breaking trail. It's around 7 miles out, and 7 back. I plan to park on little river road, follow the snowmobile trail to haystack road, go out north twin trail to the 3rd brook crossing. Then instead of crossing and going up north twin, we follow the brook up to 3250, then head for the zealand guyot col. sposed to be open woods until the last 100 feet before we hit the AT in the col. I got this info from John Swanson. How many people are still up for this, if anyone? I would prefer more people to share the trailbreaking. John wants to do it next weekend, he would join us. How many people want to go tomorrow, or would you like to do it next weekend?

equipment

basicly you need a lot of endurance, headlamp, snowshoes, and the usual winter gear. If someone isn't familiar with what they should bring on a winter climb, this probably isn't the type of hike to learn on. Better to do something easier and learn what to be wearing and how to use snowshoes going uphill, etc.

site was down the rest of the day, so i couldnt respond or get responses. zealand hopefully next weekend. I'm waiting to see what day John Swanson would like to go.

well if we are going to take north twin trail and bushwhack starting at the 3rd brook crossing, we meet at seven dwarfs motel. i guess we pay 5 bucks to park there. if we are taking the zealand road and trail, we park at zealand parking lot. i guess i will see how many are going and what way they want to take. i was leaning towards the bushwhack route.