Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/13-16, Barnes Field, New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driving Question

Coming from Portland, is it better to go through Gorham or through N. Conway? I'm driving Thursday night, if that makes any difference.

I can bring a few sticks of birch, too, and dessert for the pot luck.

Raincoats, anyone? :eek:

Sherpa - I only have the pine right now. I have been splitting a bunch of huge pine logs from my backyard. I dont want to burn it in my fireplace so I have been burning it in campfires.

Donna - what do you mean your first Gathering??? I was organizing pictures on my pc and came across the one of your muddy backside and realized that I forgot to make an avatar out of it. I couldn't ley you get away free with that one... :D

- darren

ps: something is missing from the background of my avatar...

About 5 miles South on Rt 16 on the right side is the PNVC.

Last edited:
Mad Townie: I prefer heading up Rt 26 to Rt 2, and take a left on Rt 16 in Gorham (at the Moose/Cumberland Farm). North Conway is way low on my list.

peak_bgr: 6.83 miles south on Rt 16, just past Wildcat. Easy drive - no issues other than the hill at Wildcat if it gets icy (but no problem for this crew). There is a nice gear up room in the basement of Pinkham's Notch Hut. They also serve a great all you can eat buffet breakfast at 6:30 for $7.75.

LAST MINUTE REQUESTS:

If someone can bring heavy duty stakes for the warming tent, it would appreciated. I have a few which will probably be enough, but if wind conditions do kick up, extra stakes will help.

Thanks,

Just wondering what folks are bringing for stoves, other than whisperlites and such .
I was thinking of bringing my old 2 burner propane stove to put in the warming tent for everyone to use - I have about 4-5 bottles of fuel. Will it be warm enough in the warming tent for the propane bottle to remain pressurized?

Also, I have a 15' roll of reflectix that I bought to make some pot cozies a few years ago. I still have about 12' left if anybody needs some, please let me know, I'll throw it in.

Oh, and Poison Ivy (or was it Periwinkle??), I haven't forgotten the cuppourri that I promised you 2 years ago!!!!
:)

Last edited:
Pnvc...

They also sell some brown bag trail lunches pretty cheap. Not sure of cost, but I've had them before and they are pretty good.

The trading post is also a good (although expensive) place to pick up odds and ends if you forget anything. You can also head to Gorham and there are 2 places that sell backpacking supplies/equipment.

Everyone..... Have a safe trip. This is promising to be a great event. I am leaving tomorrow (Tuesday) hoping to get there very late, or crash along the route and arrive early Wednesday. I have 545 miles to drive and looking forward to five days of fun.

I am bringing a spare 2-burner Coleman stove and pot set. Add in a butane lantern and a case of Guinness!

See Ya

Ed-have a safe trip see you early friday morning. I was going to come in late Thursday, but the idea of setting up a tent in the middle of winter at night didn't appeal to me.

And for my 1,000th post :eek: - and I think I managed to do it without p*ssing off more than 1/2 of you ;) Drumroll please:

Weekend Weather:
Today Jan 12 Snow to Wintry Mix 29°/24° 80 % precip
Thu Jan 13 Cloudy 41°/37° 10 % precip
Fri Jan 14 Mostly Cloudy 41°/12° 20 % precip
Sat Jan 15 Few Snow Showers 21°/8° 30 % precip
Sun Jan 16 Few Snow Showers 19°/9° 30 % precip
Mon Jan 17 Scattered Flurries 18°/3° 30 % precip

Hope you all have a safe trip. I'm headed off to Maine tonight, then Barnes Field tomorrow. See you at the Gathering!

SherpaKroto said:
And for my 1,000th post :eek: - and I think I managed to do it without p*ssing off more than 1/2 of you ;) Drumroll please:

Weekend Weather:
Today Jan 12 Snow to Wintry Mix 29°/24° 80 % precip
Thu Jan 13 Cloudy 41°/37° 10 % precip
Fri Jan 14 Mostly Cloudy 41°/12° 20 % precip
Sat Jan 15 Few Snow Showers 21°/8° 30 % precip
Sun Jan 16 Few Snow Showers 19°/9° 30 % precip
Mon Jan 17 Scattered Flurries 18°/3° 30 % precip

Hope you all have a safe trip. I'm headed off to Maine tonight, then Barnes Field tomorrow. See you at the Gathering!

Where'd that report come from? Thursday's forecast looks a hell of a lot better than the one on weatherunderground.com right now. I'm still trying to decide wether to come up early Thursday to ski Wildcat or coming up later Thursday or even very early Friday and scrubbing the ski plans.

It will be at least 25-30 degrees warmer than last year.

NOAA says, (for Gorham, NH)

Thursday. Cloudy. A chance of rain showers. Highs in the mid 40s. South winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Thursday night. Rain showers in the evening. Then rain showers with a chance of snow showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 30s. West winds 10 to 20 mph.

Friday. Partly cloudy. A chance of snow showers in the morning. Highs in the upper 30s. Chance of snow 40 percent.

Friday night. Mostly clear in the evening. Then becoming partly cloudy. Much colder with lows 5 to 10 above.

Saturday. Partly cloudy. Much colder with highs around 20.

Saturday night and Sunday. Partly cloudy. Lows around zero. Highs around 20.

Sunday night through Monday night. Partly cloudy. Lows around zero. Highs around 20.

The weather for this weekend is pretty much a microcosm of the entire season so far -- just a nail biting, stomach knotting, tear-inducing emotional roller coaster.

Hey - change of plans for me. Due to a rush project at work that must-must-must be done this week, I'm looking at coming up Friday late afternoon. If that works out I'll do the Carter hike as planned on Saturday. I'm bummed about missing the big xc-ski trip with Sherpa on Friday, but I can't come back from the Gathering to find myself unemployed. :)

If I can't get this project done in time, then I'll just come up Saturday morning and ski Cranmore during the day, coming by camp in the afternoon. So don't worry if I'm not there Friday night.

I'll try to get some kind of foodstuffs together for Saturday. I am definitely *not* bringing soup!

Last edited: