Doug Paul injured in a back-country ski accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was suprised when I saw you didn't post on the GPS thread also :D then to get the mail from Tim, I knew he was probably right and something was very wrong. I am very happy you weren't out there that whole time though. :eek: Tim is to be commended for picking up on the puzzle pieces and putting them together.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Let us know if you need something.

Keith

I got sympathy pains from reading the first post. Big ouch. Speedy recorvery wishes from here, hope you can get back on the horse that bucked you before it all melts out this year...

Wishing Doug Paul a speedy and full recovery.

G.

Ouch! So sorry about your accident, hope you'll fully recover soon. Please let me know if there's anything I can help. Thanks Tim for keeping us posted and Andy for saving one of our most valuable member.

We're all indebted

to Andy, Keith, Tim and the rescuers. The part about the snowmobilers tipping over illustrates the dangers of winter backcountry rescue operations.
From past exchanges I know DougPaul prefers to answer scientific questions on the forum as opposed to private messaging. Otherwise, I might have just asked him directly why my GPS is off an average of 36 feet, or just sometimes off by 36 feet.
Instead, because of DP's preference, Tim noticed DougPaul wasn't replying to a thread in which he's a recognized expert.
Doug, thanks for the sound advice that you have provided to all on this forum and best wishes for a return to good health.
Soon, you will have a new area of expertise -- femur fracture recovery. By this time next year, doctors will be asking you for advice.

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I always appreciate Doug's informative (sometimes dry, and sometimes dryly funny) contributions. Get well soon my man.
Peace,
h^2

Ouch

We haven't met, but I always enjoy your posts. Have been planning that route for a snowshoe loop.
Hope you have a swift and successful recovery!
Harry

Doug is being released from the hospital on Friday or Saturday. He is getting stronger and moving around pretty well with a walker. Plans are being finalized for a home health aid and other support. He promises to start posting again as soon as he gets home to thank you all for your concern and provide contact info.

hope you get well soon Doug. I can't wait for your trip report on THIS one!
Doug's posts can indeed be dry, unless he is talking about rain gear.

Sorry to hear you found some Snow Snakes Doug. Take Care and get well soon!

Last edited:
Update

I just spoke with Doug on the phone for a while. He's likely coming home tomorrow (as DebW already mentioned). He had some fever but it is broken now (and he commented on how it wasn't comfortable being feverish in cotton.) His sustained pain level is lower now -- 2 on the 0-10 scale, and he's off the morphine and on oxicodone / generic / similar -- he wasn't sure (gasp!) His custom walker was delivered while we were chatting...

He was honored to have seen some of these posts, and to get the phone calls, and the visits. What was said about community (in the NY/not-NY forum debate) has proven to be true in my eyes, and I think in his too...

So, I expect we'll see a post from him either late tomorrow or by Saturday some time. And yes, he's formulating them in his head all the time :rolleyes:

BTW, he called me and left a message stating he felt bad he never inquired about my knees after my full-day of skiing. What a guy, eh?

Tim