First snow of the season for the mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
October is going to come in with a brief winter-like feel. On Wednesday a strong cold front will go through ushering in the coldest air so far this season, by far. Mount Washington will drop to the teens, with very cold wind chills. Also, a strong upper level low with stick around from Thursday-Saturday bring a light snow coating above 2000 feet. Above 4000 feet there may be up to a couple inches. It will feel like the middle of November for about 3-4 days. If your hiking Saturday, be prepared for tempertures in the mid 20's to lower 30's in the Whites.. If it clears a little, think of how pretty the pics could be of leaves down below and snow up top. -Mattl

Let's see, we had about a week of spring, three weeks of summer, and maybe a week of fall in between the monsoon and snowfest. I don't want any snow until November or December! The last snow in Tamworth melted in May - a little less than 5 months ago! I'd like to at least go half of the year without it!

Have I mentioned that I don't want any snow yet? Just want to make sure I was clear :)

Its begun!
Mount Washington:

EDT (UTC) Temperature
F (C) Dew Point
F (C) Pressure
Inches (hPa) Wind
MPH Weather
Latest 10 AM (14) Oct 02 30 (-1) 30 (-1) W 39 light snow grains; freezing fog
9 AM (13) Oct 02 30 (-1) 30 (-1) W 29 ice pellets, snow; freezing fog

grouseking said:
Bring on the upslope. :cool:

I'm with you on that. Hopefully it's a trend. Seems as though this week is almost always a change in the tide with the weather. :cool:

They recorded 1.4, but think of how hard it is especially right now to record snow when there isn't any on the ground, it just blows away and is very hard to measure. They will get more snow today, looks like another 1-3 inches. If you are hiking above 4600 feet on Saturday, expect to see some snow around. -Mattl

Yeah the snow on the higher peaks in NE is beautiful right now falling above about 3600 feet and up. Someone get some more pics on here!
-Mattl

Mattl said:
Yeah the snow on the higher peaks in NE is beautiful right now falling above about 3600 feet and up. Someone get some more pics on here!
-Mattl

If the weather improves this afternoon, I'll try and get a photo of some of the Sandwich Range peaks, assuming they're White. It was raining here in Tamworth just a few minutes ago, but is now just a light mist and I see a few peaks of blue sky in the distance.

It looks like the fog is starting to lift and some of the other cameras on the MWO site are starting to come into view again - I'm not seeing any white on the visible peaks (at least in the thumbnail versions).

Lafayette and Lincoln too

Mts. Lafayette and Lincoln were both sporting white atop their peaks as I drove north through the notch late this afternoon. I actually had to turn on the heat in my condo when I got home. I miss summer already. :(

It was snowing very lightly this morning on the top of Carrigain - a dusting starting around 4,600' or so.